From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Midlands LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas for April Meeting

Whilst I was driving home yesterday, I was wondering if a live code review session would be intersting for an upcoming meeting.

I'd be happy to volunteer some code for the session, and have it picked apart and critisised!

I haven't done a live code review session before like this - so it would need some planning out beforehand, and would maybe need someone to volunteer to lead the review.

BTW - I'm pinching this idea from Richard Thomas who is doing this at the upcoming Euro CLA Summit.

As the group is mixed levels of experience, I'd suggest a relatively simple application for the review.

Cheers,

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(12,899 Views)

I would vote for that idea Martin.

I think a live code review is an excellent idea particularly if we keep it simple as you suggest.

Billican
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(10,066 Views)

Does anyone use a code review checklist, it would be really interesting to compare and contrast different code review processes within companies. I can attach ours if anyone is interested.

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Message 3 of 10
(10,066 Views)

I would definitely be interested in a live code review, would be nice to see how others approach this process. Argenta have a fairly simple project that we are currently working on for an automated oven rig. Not too complicated and it's not yet been commissioned on site so could be a perfect time for the review.

Chris what are your thoughts?

Certified LabVIEW Developer
First Class Beng Hons Electronics
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(10,066 Views)

Steve, I think we would all benefit from seeing what a working checklist looks like if you are happy to submit one.

Billican
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(10,066 Views)

I've added it as a document

You'll notice straight away that it is more interested in the project set up and commonality than actual programming methods. This is because techniques are sorted out by using a common methodology and a lot comes with our project template.

After that we concentrate on does the solution fit the problem.

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(10,066 Views)

Great idea Martin!

I will set this up for the next user group meeting. To start with i will put a format of how it might work on here and get some feedback.

Craig, i think you're right, the project you're referring to would be a good one, if not all of it, perhaps just a section of it.

Steve, thanks for the checklist, really interesting to see how others do things and picked up a few tips too!

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(10,066 Views)

If there is interest I could talk about CLA exam preparation.

I know that this is quite a niche topic as a lot of us are either going towards their CLDs or are already CLAs.

The talk would be about the architecture template I developed together with Michael Strathmann for my CLA exam. The template is a very flexible QMH design which I have started using in nearly all my projects now. It is all about encapsulating communication methods and more importantly about how to rapidly duplicate code and thus saving loads of coding time. I literally only opened the exam envelope to look at the title of the exam in order to give the project folder the right name, and put it away for the next 45 min while I was coding the framework. After those 45 min I was finished with coding and spent the next 2h:45min on requirements coverage/documentation.

I was finished after 3h:30min and passed with 93.9% not because I'm super hero good but because I was very very well prepared.

So if there is interest in the template and a suggestion of how you could prepare for your CLA I'd be happy to talk about that.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(10,066 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion Mathis, i think this is a really interesting subject that i think would fit in nicely in the next user group.

If there are no objections, at the next meet up we'll have Mathis presenting on exam preparation followed by the code review.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(10,066 Views)

This sounds great to me.

Billican
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(10,066 Views)