From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SAPHIR - Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XTab + Actor Framework

Hello guys!

First of all, XTab is a very useful and well-designed tool; a definitive must-have! I'm working on a project on which XTab will surely improve a lot the user experience. Even more: its concept is certainly PERFECT to work with the Actor Framework.

I am, however, experiencing some issues when trying to make them both work together. I created some simple example projects to isolate and illustrate the problems. They are basically the same, but the "Close Tab UE" version uses a stopping scheme very similar to the Picture Viewer provided example. The "Stop Msg" version uses the Actor Framework's messaging structure to send "Normal Stops" from caller to callee when a tab is closed, which I consider much more ellegant once the exchange of messages is made easier by the framework.

A basic explanation of the code is:

- A Top Level VI launches Actor 01, which contains the XTab XControl.

- An Add button on Actor 01 triggers the launching of one or more instances of Actor 02.

- When Actor 02 is fully launched (that is, when its Actor Core VI is running), we are able to get the VI's reference in order to embed it on the XTab.

- Actor 02's Actor Core sends a "Create Tab" message ("embed me!") to Actor 01.

- Actor 01 embeds Actor 02 on the XTab.

- User closes a tab; then, Actor 01 gets, with the VI ref returned when a tab is closed, Actor 02's Close Tab User Event ref or Actor 02's Enqueuer ref, previously written on the front panel, so we're able to stop an Actor using it's Actor Core VI ref.

- Actor 01 generates user event or sends Normal Stop msg.

This would be a very flexible and simple way to do it! But it works only ONCE; on the second attempt, it crashes LabVIEW and bugs the project. If the Top Level VI is executed from outside a LabVIEW project, however, it works nice.

Mass Compiling isn't successful - or am I doing it wrong? (log attached)

I appreciate any suggestions, ideas or solutions for helping me to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Rudison.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,951 Views)

Ooops! Installed ViBox - Probes through VI Package Manager and the problem is apparently solved!

The project is no longer crashing; the only side effect is that, when I close LabVIEW (all LabVIEW windows), I receive an Internal Warning Report, but that doesn't affect the work.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,980 Views)

Hey Rudison,

I'm glad to see your issue fixed but I don't understand why. The two packages are not related ?!

Anyway, I hope you will be please to use the two

Note that we are currently updating the probes package (v1.5) with new features. Stay tuned on our youtube channel and have a great day.

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,980 Views)

Neither do I! Do you have any guess?

Thank you for the reply!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,980 Views)

RudLacerda wrote:

Do you have any guess?

Not really… Keep me in touch if the issue come back

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,980 Views)