NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start a Bluetooth service using the command prompt in NI Linux RT?

I am trying to start a Bluetooth service in NI Linux RT from the command prompt SSH terminal.

I tried using next Linux command:

service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS]

#service bluetooth start

But it is not recognized by NI Linux RT:

"-bash: service: command not found"

Is there an equivalent command I can use in NI Linux RT to start a service??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,832 Views)

service is a RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux-specific mechanism for starting background services. On current (up to 2014sp1) NI Linux Real-Time releases, the mechanism is the SysV initscript (so, the equivalent would be running /etc/init.d/script_name start).

Additionally, attempting to start a service from LabVIEW is going to be tricky since LabVIEW runs as a lower-priviledged user and starting/stopping most services requires root/admin privilege. Your best bet would be to start the service script as it was meant to be started: using update-rc.d to create the needed links in the correct runlevel folders (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/update-rc.d.8.html)

Message 2 of 4
(4,152 Views)

BradM,

Thank you for your reply.

Cigaro USB bluetooth dongle directly connected to MyRIO USB port is still not working for me.

I tired to start Bluetooth service running next commands sequence that I found at:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_Bluetooth

1.- Power BT adapter up

#hciconfig hci0 up

I checked my BT dongle to respond to this command using:

#hciconfig hci0 -a

hci0:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB        

BD Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8        

UP RUNNING        

RX bytes:984 acl:0 sco:0 events:41 errors:0        

TX bytes:175 acl:0 sco:0 commands:41 errors:0        

Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0xdb 0xff 0x5b 0x87        

Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3       

Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK        

Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT        

Name: 'CSR8510 A10'        

Class: 0x000000        

Service Classes: Unspecified        

Device Class: Miscellaneous,        

HCI Version: 4.0 (0x6)  Revision: 0x22bb        

LMP Version: 4.0 (0x6)  Subversion: 0x22bb        

Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

2.- Use dbus-send command   to get path to the default bluetooth adapter which should appear when  bluetoothd is running and bluetooth device is powered on

#export BTADAPTER=`dbus-send --system --dest=org.bluez --print-reply /org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter | tail -1 | sed 's/^.*"\(.*\)".*$/\1/'`

Above command is not working in NI Linux RT. I am getting nex error:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

I tried by starting bluetooth service with:

#/etc/init.d/bluetooth start

but it didn't help.

I also tried to run the bluetooth-agent python script,  that I found at:

https://gitorious.org/bluez/mainline/source/a04f48420ffc2c1a33e743d5075f24809161b2fd:test/simple-age... 

to perform pairing with another bluetooth device:

#simple-agent hci0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

but I am getting a similar error:

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

How can I add org.bluez to a .service file in NI linux RT??

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,152 Views)

As I stated in the other thread, you need bluez daemon to be running. Let's try to consolidate the conversation (read: no need to post basically the same questions in multiple places).

Now, the biggest issue you're about to run headlong into is that the kernel doesn't have the needed support built into it for bluez. This means building the modules that you need and loading them into your system. This is a fairly daunting task if you are unfamiliar with Linux. I would try to find someone who is a bit more familair to help you out as it will be a bit annoying to have to make a step in the right direction, have an issue, then come back here.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,152 Views)