NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Thalmic Myo gesture control armband with MyRIO

I am trying to connect a Thalmic Myo gesture control armband ( https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/ ) directly to MyRIO, without a Windows host computer to implement the interface, and use this armband to control an i-Robot (i.e. use a Labview VI running in MyRio to receive data from the armband, interpret the gesture information and send the corresponding command to the i-Robot through serial communication).   

From Thalmic Labs tools and bindings developer forums:

https://developer.thalmic.com/forums/topic/778/

I found next Gighub containing python scripts - project that can be used in Linux as an interface to communicate with the Thalmic Myo:

https://github.com/dzhu/myo-raw

After installing Python2.7 and some of the required python modules, (pyserial, enum34), I was able to run the myo_raw.py script in MyRio, from the SSH command prompt, and I am able to capture EMG raw data and gestures information from the Myo Armband into the command prompt terminal.

Notice that it has been very painful / time consuming to install Python2.7 and Python modules into MyRio, using opkg, or  copying the module's source code  into MyRio and compiling it by running the corresponding setup.py file provided for each module, as each new module to be installed requires many other modules (i.e. modules inter-dependencies)

I found some of the required python modules at:

http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-rt/feeds/2014/arm/armv7a-vfp-neon/Packages

and installed them using next command for each module:

#opkg install http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-rt/feeds/2014/arm/armv7a-vfp-neon/<filename>

where <filename>  is the corresponding .ipk module filename listed at:

http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-rt/feeds/2014/arm/armv7a-vfp-neon/Packages

I have found some other modules as source code only (i.e. they are not part of the opkg packages list), using google search. I have installed them by copying their source code into MyRio and running their corresponding "setup.py" script:

# python setup.py install

I have found some other python modules to be available as single python scirpt files. For such modules, I have just save them as a .py files, copied them into /usr/lib/python2.7/ and cpompiled them using:

# python -o py_compile.py <filename.py>

This creates the corresponding <filename.pyo> file

So far so good...

Now, here are the issues and challenges I am facing:

1.- I have not been able to install the python module that is used to graph and visualize the EMG data coming from Myo harmband: pygame-1.9.1release. I get next errors when I try to run the setup.py file for this module in MyRIO:

#python setup.py install

building 'pygame._numericsurfarray' extension

arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mthumb-interwork -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon -D__SOFTFP__ -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/SDL -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c src/_numericsurfarray.c -o build/temp.linux-armv7l-2.7/src/_numericsurfarray.o

arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/gcc/gcc/arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi/4.7.2/cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libmpc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

error: command 'arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc' failed with exit status 1

It seems this module's compilation is failing due to missing files.

Can anybody help me with this error?

2.- I can't find missing Python modules required to install numpy and  sklearn modules:

a) numpy: installation is reporting many no existing paths, missing libraries, and python commands missing module when run from MyRio, as shown below. Is there any other option to install this python package in NI Linux RT?

admin@NI-myRIO-exp:/natinst/numpy-1.9.2# python setup.py install

Running from numpy source directory. /usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'test_suite' 

warnings.warn(msg)

non-existing path in 'numpy/distutils': 'site.cfg'

non-existing path in 'numpy/f2py': 'docs'

non-existing path in 'numpy/f2py': 'f2py.1'

/bin/sh: svnversion: command not found

F2PY Version 2

blas_opt_info: blas_mkl_info:   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']  

NOT AVAILABLE

openblas_info:   libraries openblas not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']  

NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_3_10_blas_threads_info: Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS 

libraries tatlas not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']  

NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_3_10_blas_info:  

libraries satlas not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib'] 

NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_threads_info:

Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS  

libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']  

NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_info: 

libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib'] 

NOT AVAILABLE

/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1603: UserWarning:    

Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.    

Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the    

numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting    

the ATLAS environment variable.  

warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__) blas_info: 

libraries blas not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib'] 

NOT AVAILABLE

/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1612:

UserWarning:    

Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.   

numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting    

the BLAS environment variable.  

warnings.warn(BlasNotFoundError.__doc__) blas_src_info:  

NOT AVAILABLE

/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1615: UserWarning:    

Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) sources not found.    

Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the   

numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas_src]) or by setting   

the BLAS_SRC environment variable.  

warnings.warn(BlasSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)  

NOT AVAILABLE

/bin/sh: svnversion: command not found non-existing path in 'numpy/lib':

'benchmarks' lapack_opt_info: openblas_lapack_info:  

libraries openblas not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']  

NOT AVAILABLE

lapack_mkl_info: mkl_info:  

libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']  

NOT AVAILABLE  

NOT AVAILABLE  atlas_3_10_threads_info:

Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS  

libraries tatlas,tatlas not found in /usr/local/lib  

libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/local/lib  

libraries tatlas,tatlas not found in /usr/lib  

libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib

numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_3_10_threads_info  

NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_3_10_info:  

libraries satlas,satlas not found in /usr/local/lib 

libraries satlas,satlas not found in /usr/lib  

libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_3_10_info  

NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_threads_info: Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS  

libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib 

libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib 

libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_

threads_info  

NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_info:   libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/local/lib  

libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/local/lib   libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in /usr/lib  

libraries lapack_atlas not found in /usr/lib numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_info  

NOT AVAILABLE

/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1505: UserWarning:   

Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.    

numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting    

the ATLAS environment variable.  

warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)

lapack_info: 

libraries lapack not found in ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']  

NOT AVAILABLE

/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1516: UserWarning:    

Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) libraries not found.    

numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack]) or by setting    

the LAPACK environment variable. 

warnings.warn(LapackNotFoundError.__doc__) lapack_src_info: 

NOT AVAILABLE

/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1519: UserWarning:    

Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) sources not found.    

Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the    

numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack_src]) or by setting    

the LAPACK_SRC environment variable.  

warnings.warn(LapackSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)  

NOT AVAILABLE

/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'define_macros'  

warnings.warn(msg) running install running build running config_cc unifing config_cc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --compiler options running config_fc unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --fcompiler options running build_src build_src building py_modules sources building library "npymath" sources Traceback (most recent call last):  

File "setup.py", line 251, in     setup_package()  

File "setup.py", line 243, in setup_package     setup(**metadata)  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/core.py", line 169, in setup    

return old_setup(**new_attr)  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/core.py", line 152, in setup    

dist.run_commands()  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 953, in run_commands    

self.run_command(cmd)  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command     cmd_obj.run()  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/command/install.py", line 60, in run     r = old_install.run(self)  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/command/install.py", line 565, in run     self.run_command('build')  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/cmd.py", line 326, in run_command     self.distribution.run_command(command)  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command     cmd_obj.run()  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/command/build.py", line 39, in run     old_build.run(self) 

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/command/build.py", line 127, in run     self.run_command(cmd_name)  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/cmd.py", line 326, in run_command     self.distribution.run_command(command)   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command     cmd_obj.run()  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/command/build_src.py", line 153, in run     self.build_sources()  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/command/build_src.py", line 164, in build_sources     self.build_library_sources(*libname_info)   File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/command/build_src.py", line 299, in build_library_sources     sources = self.generate_sources(sources, (lib_name, build_info)) 

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/command/build_src.py", line 386, in generate_sources     source = func(extension, build_dir)  

File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 684, in get_mathlib_info     st = config_cmd.try_link('int main(void) { return 0;}')  

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/command/config.py", line 248, in try_link     self._check_compiler()  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/command/config.py", line 87, in _check_compiler     c_compiler=self.compiler)  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/fcompiler/__init__.py", line 837, in new_fcompiler     load_all_fcompiler_classes()  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/fcompiler/__init__.py", line 740, in load_all_fcompiler_classes     __import__ (module_name) 

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/fcompiler/gnu.py", line 11, in     from numpy.distutils.cpuinfo import cpu  

File "/natinst/numpy-1.9.2/numpy/distutils/cpuinfo.py", line 25, in    

from commands import getstatusoutput ImportError: No module named commands

b) Sklearnt. Work in process... it requires many libraries to be installed into MyRIO:

build-essential , python-dev python-setuptools, python-nump,y python-scipy, libatlas-dev, libatlas3gf-base

3.-Next step is to be able to call these python scripts from a Labview VI running in MyRio to capture gestures / posses data and translate them to the corresponding i-Robot's serial port commands.

Can Python scripts be called from Labview VIs running in a RT target?

If yes, what is the proper vi, module or interface to do this?

Is such thing as a python.h file, equivalent to a c .h file that can be used to define python module's interface with Labview?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,888 Views)

Update for issue no. 1 mentioned on my post above:

1.- I have not been able to install the python module that is used to graph and visualize the EMG data coming from Myo harmband: pygame-1.9.1release. I get next errors when I try to run the setup.py file for this module in MyRIO:

#python setup.py install

After installing additiona packages: linux-libc-headers-dev,  libmpc-dev and libmpc2, I was able to go over the original compilation error:

/usr/lib/gcc/gcc/arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi/4.7.2/cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libmpc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It seems libmpc.so.2 shared library is included as part of the libmpc2 package

But now I am gettin a new compilation error:

building 'pygame._numericsurfarray'

extension arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mthumb-interwork -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon -D__SOFTFP__ -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/SDL -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c src/_numericsurfarray.c -o build/temp.linux-armv7l-2.7/src/_numericsurfarray.o

arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory src/_numericsurfarray.c:1163:1: fatal error: error writing to -: Broken pipe

compilation terminated. error: command 'arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc' failed with exit status 1

How can I fix the Broken pipe identified for src/_numericsurfarray.c:1163:1?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,663 Views)

liejf wrote:

But now I am gettin a new compilation error:

building 'pygame._numericsurfarray'

extension arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mthumb-interwork -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon -D__SOFTFP__ -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/SDL -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c src/_numericsurfarray.c -o build/temp.linux-armv7l-2.7/src/_numericsurfarray.o

arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory src/_numericsurfarray.c:1163:1: fatal error: error writing to -: Broken pipe

compilation terminated. error: command 'arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc' failed with exit status 1

How can I fix the Broken pipe identified for src/_numericsurfarray.c:1163:1?

You missed the other error that led to the broken pipe.

How did you install the tools that you're using for the compilation, or are you using some of the tools that are meant for kernel module building?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,663 Views)

I installed the compilation tools using "opkg install" command.

I have downloaded the ipk files from  next locations:

http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-rt/feeds/2014/arm/armv7a-vfp-neon/

http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/next/ipk/eglibc/armv7a/base/Packages

(2nd location is not working for me anymore)

It seems I can  run the main python script (myo_raw.py) to get raw data and pose information from the Myo armbad into MyRio, without having to install  pygame-1.9.1release, numpy and  sklearn python modules.

Still I need to figure it out how to interface between Python and Labview (last section on my original post):

3.-Next step is to be able to call these python scripts from a Labview VI running in MyRio to capture gestures / posses data and translate them to the corresponding i-Robot's serial port commands.

Can Python scripts be called from Labview VIs running in a RT target?

If yes, what is the proper vi, module or interface to do this? Is such thing as a python.h file, equivalent to a c .h file that can be used to define python module's interface with Labview?

Is there any reference you can provide for this?

We found some packages / modules containing VIs to inteface between Labview and python, or to run Python code in Labview, but it seems they only work in the host VI (Windows) and not on the RT VI (NI Linux RT).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,663 Views)

You of course could try to run the python code from a System Exec vi (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/glang/system_exec/)

If this doesn't do what you need (e.g. the code requires interactive,dynamic input) you can write a wrapper library in C/C++ and call the interface through a CLFN (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/glang/call_library_function/)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,663 Views)

I am trying to use a "socket" to send a data stream produced by a python script that reads Myo armbad data, to a labview vi, both running in NI Linux RT

How can I create a socket in labview to connect to a socket created in python?

I tried to use labview "datasocket" but it seems python "socket" is not compatible with labview "datasocket": I was not able to connect the python socke to the labview datasocket:

URL: dstp://10.32.0.55/actbutton is not recognized as a valid socket host name by Python bind command.

Also labview "datasocket" requires a datasocket server, which can only run in Windows, and I am trying to avoid the need o a Windows host machine to implement the interface between Myo Armband and MyRio.

I am creating the socket in Python using next lines of code:

a) Server socket script:

serversocket1 = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)

serversocket1.bind(('localhost', 1025))

serversocket1.listen(5)

(clientsocket1, address1) = serversocket1.accept()

clientsocket1.recv(1024)

b) Client socket script:

s = socket.socket()        

host = 'localhost'

port = 1025

s.send(mydata)

When I run both clien socket and server socket python scripts at MyRio, I am able to transfer data between scripts /  processes, but I have not being able to figure it out how to do it beween the server socket python script and a labview VI.

Question:

How can I create a socket in Labview that can be connected to the socket created in Python, for a labview VI and a Python script running in NI Linux RT target (MyRio)? (AF_INET socket family).

Any help / reference you can provide would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,663 Views)