FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roborio Power Light Red, Status solid Orange

On our practice robot our Roborio power light turns from green to red and stays red.  Also the status light is solid orange for several seconds.  The robot's motors hooked up to PWM and CAN all work fine.  However the analog gyro has stopped reading as well as another MXP gyro.  Also on the PDP the status and comm lights blink orange.  I have use our air compressor to blow out everything on the Roborio and I don't see any debris in it on the outside.  The robot is fully useable for practice but would drive a lot better if we were able to get our gyros working again.  They worked well before so I think it is the power light being red causing the analog sensor not to read anything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, our first and only competition is next week.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(9,347 Views)

Also I checked out the Power & Can tab on the driver station and under faults it is showing Comms 3, everything else is 0.  Yesterday when I checked it was all 0's I believe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,571 Views)

The status LED simply indicates that the controller is booting.  The RED power LED indicates that there is a short on one of your power output pins on the roboRIO.  Since you indicate the analog sensor does not work, I would guess it's related to the 5V pins.

Start by unplugging all sensors or anything plugged into the roboRIO sensor ports. If that doesn't make the power LED turn green, open the case and clean out any metal shavings that may have gotten inside. Also look for wire strands or metal shavings that are stuck against any of the sensor connectors.

Message 3 of 13
(6,571 Views)

Sensors were unplugged and that didn’t correct it. Take the grey casing off the top of the Roborio?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,571 Views)

Yes. Take out the 4 screws on the back of the roboRIO case and clean it out, looking for metal shavings near the connectors.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,571 Views)

Gave it a good cleaning inside and now the light is back to green.  Now I will try out the sensors

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,571 Views)

Everything is working as it was before, thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 13
(6,571 Views)

We are having the same issue, but we have given it a good on the inside and are still having issues. What is the next thing to do? We tried calling NI FRC support and there was a message referring us here.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,571 Views)

Have you tried measuring each of the 3 output voltages to figure out what areas of the board you should be focusing on?

Also, it is possible to get shavings up under the connectors. Try compressed air to blow it out maybe?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,571 Views)

The DIO ports are not outputting 5V. We have opened it up and cleaned every part with compressed air but the issue has continued.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,571 Views)