From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Next Steps - LabVIEW RIO Evaluation Kit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the RS232/485 ports of my sbRIO-9636 do not appear in my project?

Hi !

I want to access the RS232 and 485 ports and they do not appear in the list of the selectable inputs. Is there a way to use them in a Real-Time project? Better, how can I use them from an FPGA VI?

Regards,

Dimitri

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,971 Views)

Well, I discovered that the Evaluation Board's software did not include the VISA related components, therefore by selecting them, I can see now the 3 ports.

The 2nd part of my question remains (whether I can use them in FPGA VIs), but I am afraid that the answer wil be: No

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,238 Views)

Hi Dimitri,

These ports are accessed as resources COM1-3 (see manual) and are programmed with the VISA functions to read and write from LabVIEW RT applications. Glad to see you found that!

So far as the FPGA VI, you can adapt some of your FPGA DIO lines to communicate with such devices, but not through the supplied COM ports, those are accessed through RT only. Here's a handy tutorial discussing the options.

Hope this helps!

Deborah

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 3 of 5
(8,238 Views)

Hi Dimitri,

I am facing the same problem. How do you include the VISA related compenents? I would appreciate if you could share, thank you.

Zahari

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,238 Views)

Hi Zahari,

Please see the links I referenced above and let us know if there are any follow-up implementation questions.

Thanks!

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,238 Views)