From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Ctrl-Space as a plugin shortcut key

One of my colleagues wanted to know if he could assign Ctrl-Space as the shortcut key for a Quick Drop plugin, allowing him to press Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-Space to quickly launch a plugin VI. This is possible, but requires a manual edit to the LabVIEW INI file. Here's how:

In your LabVIEW INI file, you'll find the QuickDropKeyboardShortcutMappings token that stores all the key mappings to shortcut VIs. Here's the token from my INI file:

QuickDropKeyboardShortcutMappings="9:Change to Array or Element.vi;y:Disconnect from Typedef.vi;i:Insert.vi;j:Move and Size.vi;t:Move Labels.vi;u:Panel Clean Up.vi;v:Paste From Clipboard.vi;m:QDKS_MissionControl_MultiFrameStructure.vi;r:Remove and Rewire.vi;p:Replace.vi;1:ScrollWheel Move_MB.vi;b:VI Server Rename.vi; :Wire All Terminals.vi;w:Wire Multiple Objects Together.vi;"

This is a 2D array of character/plugin VI pairs (colons separate columns, semicolons separate rows). Check out what I did for the "Wire All Terminals.vi" plugin VI...I replaced its default shortcut ("d") with a space character. That allows me to use Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-Space to Wire All Terminals.

In case you're wondering why configuing a shortcut to use Ctrl-Space is not currently supported in the Quick Drop UI. I think this is because at one time in the past we considered having Ctrl-Space close the Quick Drop window if it's open. We never ended up implementing that functionality, though.

Message 1 of 3
(5,178 Views)

Thanks for this enlightning DQ Developer insight!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,304 Views)

I've had one of my plugins be defaulted to be Space for a long time.  I just made the default for it be a space, as defined in the VI Description.  I do not even see this entry in the mappings ini key, but it shows up in the QuickDrop configuration dialog and it runs when invoked.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,304 Views)