Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Bad VI and the entire AF appears broken?

I did a mass compile not realizing that a sub panel (Invoke Node) on my UI Actor Core was missing the VI Reference input. The results were a huge list of "Bad VIs" including every VI in the AF. This made finding the actual problem quite difficult. Is this what everyone else deals with? Is there some workaround or setting or something....anything?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,612 Views)

The real errors is usually in the first ones in the list marked with an red cross.

If you solve those the others will usually disappear.

Message 2 of 6
(3,431 Views)

I'll check that out next time. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,431 Views)

That was such a noob mistake, I might should consider giving up software development.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,431 Views)

I don't think this a noob mistake at all; it's very disconcerting the first few times it happens before you work out that only the mark(ed) VI(s) are broken.

One thing I find with AF is that you should try and track down broken VI's asap and fix them. It gets very confusing if there are errors in more than a couple of VI's. Here's a few common errors that caught me out early on, which might help other users:

1. When you create a message class manually, you should override Do.vi as early as possible and save it. This is a 'Must Override' VI, and everything will be broken until you do that.

2. When you create abstract messages i.e. where you will have a Do.vi method in a child class (which inherits from a parent message class which inherits from Message.lvclass), you need to check the "Transfer all Must Override requirements to descendent classes" option in the parent message class. See below. Then, when you create the child message class you should again follow step 1 (i.e. create Do.vi asap and save it).

Once I worked out those two points, I had far fewer issues with broken VI's.

Transfer Requirements.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,431 Views)

Thanks, those are all good points. Since my original post I have made a lot of progress in porting my application to AF (I've got ~14 actors running). I have more "AF Sense" (akin to Spidey Sense) and I think I've gotten over most of the "gotchas".

Message 6 of 6
(3,431 Views)