Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some strange behaviours of the Actor Framework

Hi everyone,

I am relatively set on trying the CLA on the Actor Framework, however during my test runs I have seen some behaviour that causes concern:

1. Sometimes LabVIEW crashes right after automatically creating new messages. When this happens the Classes and Methods get erased, but the system seems to think they still exist after I restart LabVIEW, leading to me not being able to create them again. Has this happened to anyone? Right now, I just rename the Actor Method and redo it.
  2. One minor thing, that I couldn't quite figure out the reason of: In the attached VI I can't create a comment by double clicking near the upper left corner of the VI. Something seems to be blocking it, but I can't figure out what.
  3. The newest one in the bunch is this: When I create VIs for override after I started LabVIEW it generates two of the override VIs and then Stops with error 1025. After that I can't create any override VIs anymore. This appears to be happening in all my actor framework projects now, but only with the "Actor Core", "Pre Launch Init" and "Stop Core" Methods.

Error 1025.PNG

I will still try to do the Exam with the Actor Framework and just hope that on the clean system at NI these things don't happen, but maybe someone can shed some light on these "errors".

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,813 Views)

Hi Peter,

I've seen things similar to what you're experiencing using LV2013 and the GOOP Toolkit.

They have more or less disappeared after completey reinstalling LV (and having sent a lot of error reports to NI ).

I recommend to save your Actors (and the libs they're belonging to) before using the assistant. Unsaved changes can make things difficult.

You can also check the lvproj file for zombies using an editor.

Though I know... not a real solution for the exam....

Haven't taken a look at the VI yet, still queued for virus scan.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,449 Views)

About creating new messages after crash - what I noticed is that in some cases the classes were created and put in the Actor Messages folder, and then you can't create them again. If they were fully created you can simply add them from there to your project, or you can erase them on disk and the message maker will allow you to create them again.

I've never seen error 1025 in this context, do you have a clean version of AF? Maybe it got corrupted somehow.

Can't see the VI yet either, queued for virus scanning.

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,449 Views)

Thank you for the quick responses.

As for the state of my Actor Framework: I failed to mention that I am using LabVIEW 2014 SP1 and it has worked well for a long time. I have praticed putting together the actor systems lately and maybe that creating lots of actors leads to thi problem. I don't know... Maybe the reference counts up and has an overflow at some point, though that would require me to create hundreds and thousands of actors, which I didn't.

What folder are you referring to by "Actor Messages Folder"? If I generate Messages, I have to manually save them, right? Or do they get autosaved somewhere?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,449 Views)

Created messages get autosaved to ..\<actor name> Messages folder. For example, if your folders are MyProject\MyActor then MyActor messages would be autosaved in MyProject\MyActor Messages.

You have to manually save them anyway, though.

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,449 Views)

OK, I'll check this out next time LabVIEW gives up on me.

Today I'm already in a good form: I hit another error: 1004 VI not in memory, when creating new Messages with the maker. Unfortunately I have already fixed that and thus can't reproduce it now.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,449 Views)

LabVIEW 2015 is available for download today. It has a completely reworked message maker. You might check it out.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,449 Views)

I today had the similar experience. All of sudden Message Maker MGI starts throwing error 1004. I deleted LabVIEW.ini to see if it helps but no luck.

What worked for me was I created a new project and added a actor library to the new project. Then I was able to create Message classes. After that I just delete the project.

LabVIEW 2014SP1.

TailOfGon
Certified LabVIEW Architect 2013
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,449 Views)

It's good to see that I'm not the only one who has issues with the AF sometimes. Of course there almost always is a solution for these kinds of things. Plus, in a real project, you wouldn't be creating new classes and messages all the time.

I wanted to use the CLA exam as an incentive to get into the Actor Framework, which I did. I love it, but for the reasons described above I didn't use it in the CLA, since the risk was too big that something goes wrong during the exam costing me valuable minutes.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,449 Views)

I'm getting the same error in LV2015 when trying to override Stop.VI

Why is this happening to me ?

Started up happening all of a sudden while working of an AF project and now I get an error whenever trying to overide Stop.vi in any new actors in new projects, or old actors in old projects.

Error:

Error 1025 occurred at New VI in MemberVICreation.lvlib:VIRetooler.lvclass:CLSUIP_CreateNewVI.vi->MemberVICreation.lvlib:VIRetooler.lvclass:CLSUIP_RetoolVI.vi->MemberVICreation.lvlib:CLSUIP_CreateOverride.vi->MemberVICreation.lvlib:CLSUIP_CreateOverride.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Application Reference is invalid.

Restarted my computer and made sure the power cable thingy is plugged in.

-Paul

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,449 Views)