LabWindows/CVI User Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sugested new feature for LabWindows

I have a suggestion for an improvement to LabWindows. This is concerning the IVI Driver Installer creation wizard. When you get to the screen which allows you to add additional files to your installer you have to have them go into a list of predefined directories. Now <IVI Root Dir>\Drivers\MyDriver is one of the selections in the list but if in our case we have a lot of examples in different languages then we want the example files (additional files) to go into user defined directories under the <IVI Root Dir>\Drivers\MyDriver directory.
For example:

Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\MyDriver\Examples\CVI\Getting Started example
Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\MyDriver\Examples\CVI\Advanced example
Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\MyDriver\Examples\VB\Getting Started example
Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\MyDriver\Examples\VB\Advanced example

LabWindows current only allows you to add everything to:
Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\MyDriver

This is not really a feature but an improvement to an existing feature.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(10,465 Views)

Hi,

I appreciate the feedback you have provided for improving this feature. I am working with the development team and communicating the desire to have this incorporated.

Thanks again,
Adri Kruger
LabWindows/CVI Product Manager

Adri Kruger
National Instruments
LabVIEW Product Marketing
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,038 Views)

Adri,

Is there a location where user's can post/read suggestion for improvements to LabWindows?

I don't know if these exists, but it would be nice to have pre-define constants for LabWindows Version information and program compile date/time.  I define these myself so that when my programs generates a report I know what version of LabWindows I used and the data/time I complied the program.  I think the pre-processor should be able to add these automatically.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,038 Views)

Paul,

There is supposed to be a predefined macro _CVI_, which specifies the version of LabWindows/CVI in which the source file is compiled. Is that part of what you are looking for?

Garry Owen

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,038 Views)

Garry,

Yes that will do for the LabWindows version information.

I would still like to be able to see the program's compile date/time and target setting version information being a define that is easily useable in your program.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,038 Views)

Hi Paul,

The best way to request a product feature is to file a suggestion in the Product Suggestion Center.

Also, can you be more specific about what you mean by "target setting version information"?

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,038 Views)

What I am trying to do is gather up as much information about the program, compiler, and compile date then print it out with the test results.

Currently I manually define the program version information #define SOFTWARE_VERSION   "1.0.0.0", but it means I have to remember to change it each time I build the program.  What I would like to use is version information in the BUILD\TARGET SETTINGS\Version Settings as  the information and have it auto update each time I build the program.  Then I don't have to remember the revision information.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,038 Views)

I see. Yes, that's a very good suggestion.

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,038 Views)

Hi Paul,

As Luis pointed out we do have a Product Suggestions Center to formally make suggestions for new features, but I also encourage posting new feature ideas on the CVI community discussion board so that other users can provide feedback as well. The CVI team regularly monitors these threads so that we can gain a deeper insight into the requests that users have for the future of CVI.

Thank you very much for the feature suggestion.

-Adri Kruger

Adri Kruger
National Instruments
LabVIEW Product Marketing
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,038 Views)

I found this in the CVI samples using the VersionInfo.fp

char *caValue;

caValue = Version_Get("48-000049.prj", "File Version");

caValue gets "1.0.0.1"

The problem is it is reading the actual project file at runtime, so the executable must be able to reach the project file.  This is not always the case if my laptop developes the program and I install it on a test machine.  We should be able to access the File Version information plus the other Target Settings during compilation.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,038 Views)