From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

GDS(Goop Development Suite)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDS Installer for VIPM LV2015

Please and thanks.  The only source I am allowed to install GDS from is VIPM and I'm starting to miss it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(13,486 Views)

OpenGDS downloads are VIPM packages, and this supports LV2015...

https://opengds.github.io

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(10,576 Views)

Sorry.  Forgot to mention my other qualifier.  It must be a NI release.  I can't download stuff from the web and install without going through an approval process.  Even when I know it is a trusted source.  NI "Add-ons" available through VIPM are my only option.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(10,576 Views)

OK. Generally Mikael checks in the OpenGDS version into NI's repo anyway, so the versions tend to be virtually identical. But I understand the need to provide confidence.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(10,576 Views)

These need to be fed to the NI LabVIEW Tools Network team in order to show up inside of VIPM.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(10,576 Views)

I feel for you. I would stop coding in LV if I couldn't use the GDS tool in LabVIEW 🙂

About 6 month ago I copied the OpenGDS version straight into the NI's GDS repo on GitHUB. NI was working on updating the logos and changing the license agreement, but I never saw it being released.

Since then I’ve done heaps of improvements in the OpenGDS, e.g.

- Made the UML modeller 100 times faster to analyse your code.

- The API VIs have been updated

- Conversion of the connector pane type of classes

- Convert c# and Java applications/classes to LV code

- Added Interfaces by VI server

Since the code is fully open source, you can take control of it yourself and go through it to verify that there are no security issues in it.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(10,576 Views)

Stephen or Mikael need to submit it to the LabVIEW Tools Network.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(10,576 Views)

I can submit the OpenGDS VIP files, it will be 8 different versions (2012-2015 32 & 64 bit) at about 58MB each.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(10,576 Views)

MikaelH wrote:

Since the code is fully open source, you can take control of it yourself and go through it to verify that there are no security issues in it.

Believe me, if it was just me this would be a non-issue.  I'm trying to follow the rules here.   Which means free and open source software has to go through an exahustive approval process (which takes months).  My hope when NI started puting their name on this tool is that it would either ship with LabVIEW or be available in VIPM when LabVIEW releases. 

If there is always going to be a delay between the LabVIEW release and availablity of GDS in VIPM, I will likely go ahead and work to get approval to use OpenGDS directly.  At least that should help me next year

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(10,576 Views)

I'm in a regulated industry and we use OpenGDS exclusively. Having said that we use the features that help to automate tasks in the IDE but not the dependency frameworks that come with it (eg. Interfaces). This makes it easier to manually verify the output without having to validate each new version of OpenGDS.

Message 10 of 16
(10,576 Views)