LabVIEW Channel Wires

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide a single place for Up-to-Data "Update" Information (suggestion)

After a brief "time away" from work, my downloaded LabVIEW 2015 system on my work PC, and this forum, I'm back, I've got a shiny USB Flash Drive with the Fall 2015 Academic Site License, and I've done an Install on my home laptop.

In trying to "catch up" with updates/changes/fixes, it seems to me that there are a number of "patches" configured as attachments to various Discussions and Documents in this Community.  Could I make a suggestion that AQ come up with a mechanism (an Update thread?) that represents a single destination to get the Latest and Greatest?  Does it make sense to provide a VIPM Package that will simply re-install the entire Channel Wires system when a change is made?  This would ensure that everyone applying Patch 5 could be sure that their LabVIEW "internals" for Channel Wires was the same as everyone else with Patch 5 (as it would contains Patches 1-4).

As it is, I'm going to have to go back and read multiple threads and try to figure out what to download and where to put it.  And, once I'm done, if I "Cry Wolf" because something doesn't work, is that because I missed a "fix" or there's a real issue still remaining?

I hope you see my point.

Bob Schor

Message 1 of 7
(7,500 Views)

No one followed up or Replied to this suggestion, but I recently needed to reinstall Channel Wires, so I collected the information I could find here and compiled it into the attached document.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,505 Views)

Bob, Just a note, the installation VI just copies files into the appropriate directories.  You might want to wipe those directories as a way to "start over"

Also there are compiled directories that are caching copies of the various instances for different data types.  For Mac users they are in ~/Documents/LabVIEW Data/Channels/Typed Channels.  I assume that Windows has a similar location.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,505 Views)

Thanks, sth.  If this is a followup to my other post about having "broken" Channel Wires, I'm planning a total Uninstall of LabVIEW 2015 and its Toolkits, Modules, and Device Drivers, followed by a re-install.  I wasn't planning to delete the LabVIEW 2015 folder, but following your note, I certainly will.  Since I have earlier versions of LabVIEW also on this machine, and don't want to do a 3-4 day cleanup, I'll probably leave the other NI folders intact, hoping I get a "clean" response.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,505 Views)

I understand running multiple versions.  But those cached "Channel" VIs should probably have that whole folder removed.  There is no harm in making the system regenerate those instances in your personal account other than time compiling the templates.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,505 Views)

I think I agree with sth. Better safe than sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,505 Views)

My "resolution" took almost a week.  I went to the NI entry in Programs and Features and uninstalled everything (took about 4 hours as I had 2011, 2011 SP1, 2012, 2012 SP1, 2013, 2013 SP1, 2014, 2014 SP1, and 2015, with a few left-over 2010 pieces, as well).  I then deleted the NI folders in Program Files and Program Files x86.

I installed 2012 SP1, 2014 SP1, and 2015 (I have active projects in 2012 and 2014).  Ran into several "You are not authorized to ..." messages, usually regarding Services, when doing Devices and Interfaces, but repeating 2 or 3 times usually fixed it (I had some helpful "hand-holding" with NI AEs).  Then VIPM and getting OpenG and a few other packages re-installed.  One more "gotcha" -- I normally do one installation every 6 months, and here I was doing 3 back-to-back, so I took a "short-cut" in License Activation, and activated the wrong license -- Panic, where did Compare go?  Duh, another helpful NI AE said "License Manager", and the light bulb went off ...

Following some off-line suggestions, my inclination is to wait for the Beta to be released (which I'm sure will have a "cleaner" version of Channel Wires than trying to "patch" the 2015 release) before doing any more "playing" with Channels myself, and to do testing in a VM.  Looking forward to getting more experience and figuring out if this concept is a Blessing or a Curse (what, too dramatic?).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,505 Views)