NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python from opkg in InsightCM with 2013 release

I am trying to install Python 2.7 on cRIO-9068 but can't even get out of the gate (see below).

Anybody go ideas on this specific error or the latest info on getting Python to work on cRIO-9068.

Note: Been scouring the forum, Internet, and Google in genera. I don't mind digging and doing the legwork, just need a nudge in the right direction to get started.

opkg update

* opkg_download: Failed to download http://us.feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/next/ipk/eglibc/armv7a/base//Packages.gz, wget returned 1

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,840 Views)

It sounds like you got past the above error in https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/115168#115168 -- is that correct? If so, let's continue from that thread. I have a query out to the InsightCM folks that may be enlightening.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,156 Views)

Yes. I have had some success with the following repository:

src/gz angstrom-python http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/v2012.12/ipk/eglibc/armv7a-vfp-neon/python/

It appears to have a wide variety of python collateral (about 207 python packages) that support my armv71 architecture.

(uname -a: Linux NI-cRIO-9068-01a6fb7b 3.2.35-rt52-1.0.0f1 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Nov 13 16:14:25 CST 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux)

Next steps are to mull around and determine if any of these will download and work.

Please forward any responses and direction you get from your inquiry.

I will continue to hack on this side.

Objective:  Install a working Python 2.7 on cRIO-9068.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,156 Views)

Seems like you're on the right track. The 2013 feeds were not hosted by NI and have changed since that release, but it's likely you can get something working on the path you're on. With 2014 or 2015, "opkg update; opkg install python" works out of the box, and installs Python 2.7.x. It would be handy if the InsightCM team has a way to let you update to a later version of the software. Either way, since this should not require you to build anything yourself (which was the topic of this thread) I'll post any followups in the other thread.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,156 Views)

So to clarify - am I stuck at a certain release because of InsightCM?  That is, can I update to 2014 or 2015 and thus install python *with ease*?

What forum do I need to post these specific questions?  Can you advise and/or post to the appropriate people?

1.In the context of this tread and inquiry, what version is my cRIO because of the InSightCM?

2. Can I update my cRIO to 2014 or 2015 without breaking InsightCM in order to more easily and correctly install needed ad-on software including but not limited to Python 2.7?

Thanks for any direction.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,156 Views)

The other thread you started is an appropriate place to ask. I am trying to get you an answer to your question there. Again, please use this thread for discussions of building software for NI Linux RT yourself, per the subject.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,156 Views)

Scott,

Do you know if there is an InsightCM forum and/or do you have a contact at NI for the InsightCM software and product?

I have sent an email inquiry concerning this to the NI contacts I know that provided the InsightCM software..

It appears by /etc/version on my cRIO9068 that I am at 2013. Thus now the question becomes can I upgrade to 2014/2015 to get Python 2.7 the "easy" way without impacting the InsightCM?

My gut is telling me the InsightCM is tied to a specific release BUT need to talk directly with developers or someone who can give me definitive answer and an architecture plan and glide path moving forward.

p.s. We are doing some neat predicitve analytics and machine learning "AT THE EDGE", collecting accelerometer data from rotating equipment, and thus the need for Pyton on the cRIO.

Any suggestions, please adivse.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,156 Views)

Please be patient. I am trying to find the right experts and have them post in the appropriate thread.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,156 Views)

That would be one of the thousands use cases for having a decent development environment:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Additional-NI-Software-Idea/cRIO-image-development-kit/idc-p/3819979

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,181 Views)