UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET Datagrid (table control) in LabVIEW UI

Has anyone succeessfully used .NET datagrid in LabVIEW UI. 

.NET datagrid is basically a table data which can have both inputs (controls) and outputs(indicators).  The ability to have controls like buttons, checkboxes etc... inside the table is awesome feature of .NET datagrid.

--
Ajay MV

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(20,009 Views)

Do you have an example UI image you can post to demonstrate what you want?

I have simulated this kind of behavior in purely LabVIEW with a table and a cluster.

Display the normal table, then as soon as the user clicks a cell a cluster appears over the row where the user clicked with all the checkboxes and dropdown lists  aligned with the columns and steals focus.

It isn't perfect but it mostly provides the required functionality.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Message 2 of 26
(10,684 Views)

I am out of the office until 09/24/2015.

Contact me for phone or email access.

Note: This is an automated response to your message "[UI Interest Group]

- .NET Datagrid (table control) in LabVIEW UI" sent on 9/17/2015 9:34:19 PM

This is the only notification you will receive while this person is away.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26
(10,684 Views)

Yes, we can do in that fashion of invisibling and visibling the cluster right on the row where user clicks.  But all such functionality is inbuilt in .NET datagrid.  I have attached couple of images from google search.https://i-msdn.sec.s-msft.com/dynimg/IC288774.png

http://beyondrelational.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/dinesh/DataGrid_5F00_thumb_5F00_652C4C2C.jpg

--
Ajay MV

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(10,684 Views)

This looks like a project which would be of interest:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/OpenSource-Project-for-a-NET-Datagrid-for-LabVIEW/m-p/3183494/highli...

https://github.com/unipsycho/LabVIEWdotNetDataGrid

Looks like they already have an example working:

TableExample.png

Message was edited by: Pete.Dunc - fixed image.

Regards,

Peter D

Message 5 of 26
(10,684 Views)

Pete's pointed to a great open source project managing to use DataGrids in LabVIEW.

If you want to try this yourself, the following is an example that can get you started:

NETdatagrid.png

NETDataGridLV.jpg

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 6 of 26
(10,684 Views)

Those are good starting point to try. 🙂  I have tried it before starting this discussion.  I felt there is a lag in loading time when I use datagrid.  I can visually see that datacontainer is empty when I opened the executable and then it loads the data rows one by one.  Hence, I wanted to understand if anyone has successfully used datagrid in your application.  My application needs datagrid in many places (minimum 25 places as of now).  Will there be any other hiccups while use it in large scale?

--
Ajay MV

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(10,684 Views)

This is definitly worth working on.

I tried to get into the methods and properties of the .Net datgrid some time ago, but simply gave up.

It is what I am looking for since years. Now that I have another starting point I hope I'll get results.

Gabi

And @NI-IT: Is it possible please to filter out auto responders. It is annoying.

7.1 -- 2013
CLA
Message 8 of 26
(10,684 Views)

Hi Ajayvingnesh,

I've seen the brief lag as well on initialization of datagrids, I've not tried anything to get around that yet but will certainly want to think about deferred FP updates, cached rows and constructors so that the building up of data for display is much faster.  I want to get the basics with events working first so at least it more usable in small scale before looking at large scale apps with so many instances. I'd like to actually build up a datasource for it eventually and then just connect the .net datasource and grids together, as I suspect that will be the fastest way to build up the rows, since that is the case in C# for them already.  Longer term though, thanks for the feedback, hope to hear more.

mike

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(10,684 Views)

Thanks Gabi, I hope it will be useful to many people.  I've wanted it for a long time as well, and am fairly familiar with C# grids so that has certainly helped recently on diving into the methods needed. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(10,684 Views)