LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plug-Ins

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Change All To Write (resp. Read) for local/global variables

I am not into plug-ins yet, but if someone is short on ideas on how to show their skills, here is an idea.

When creating local variables from a bunch of selected controls, they will end up dropped as write-only variables.

Currently (LV 2015), one has to select each variable individually and use "Change to Read".

Having a right-click menu item allowing this on a group of selected local variables (and I suppose global variables for the heretics out there using them) would be nice.

For symmetry, the opposite operation should be offered if the selected variables are read-only.

And if there is a mixture of either, both options should be offered.

As a side note, the name of the group seems to be bogus. We are talking about right-click menus, or possible contextual menus, not really "shortcut" menus...

Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

X. wrote:

As a side note, the name of the group seems to be bogus. We are talking about right-click menus, or possible contextual menus, not really "shortcut" menus...

Shortcut menus are what those menus are called throughout the LV help and have been since at least LV 6.0. The group name is accurate.

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

AristosQueue wrote:

Shortcut menus are what those menus are called throughout the LV help and have been since at least LV 6.0.

Apparently a Shortcut Menu is what is defined as menu that appears when you right-click an object in Microsoft Forms.  I didn't know this, and as a new developer I didn't think a shortcut menu was the right name, but as long as it isn't just a LabVIEW name I'm okay with it.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

MSDN: What is a shortcut menu?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/gg264580.aspx

Apple also uses the term "shortcut menu" for these menus in many of its product documents.

There are many names for this type of menu.

Wikipedia: ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context_menu )

A context menu (also called contextual, shortcut, and popup or pop-up menu) is a menu in a graphical user interface (GUI) that appears upon user interaction, such as a right-click mouse operation.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

I wrote your requested plug-in (just for locals) and posted it here. It was a pretty simple one, so it's a good learning illustration for writing your own plug-ins.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

I stand corrected about the terminology for shortcut menus.

However, what I was hinting at is that in many cases (this one being an example), the functionality doesn't exist in the app in the first place, so there is no possibility of "shortcut" (to a non-existing functionality). The destination has to be programmed first...

Contributors