Developer Center Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Protection of EXE using TPLAT

This might be a repeat, because I marked my previous discussion as a Question and I have no idea where it disappeared to - it didn't go to "Discussions".

I was after a really basic protection of an Executable that doesn't involve using the SOLO Server to get any Licenses.  The client should e-mail me a code based on their computer and I send them back a registration key to unlock the software.

Can all this be done within the TPLAT VI's, because looking at say the "Activate License - Activate Manually.vi" I have to use SoftwareKey's LFEdit program to generate the Activation Codes.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,311 Views)

Hello Chris,

Is this the thread you mentioned?

It is my understanding that TPLAT is mainly meant to license LabVIEW libraries/add-ons that extend the LabVIEW environment for other people creating LabVIEW EXEs.

I don't think you can use TPLAT to license a standalone LabVIEW EXE.   In this case, Instant Protection PLUS 3 would be the best recommendation.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,143 Views)

Ah! thanks Mike - this thread should probably be closed so as not distract from the main thread.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,143 Views)

Woz wrote:

It is my understanding that TPLAT is mainly meant to license LabVIEW libraries/add-ons that extend the LabVIEW environment for other people creating LabVIEW EXEs.

I don't think you can use TPLAT to license a standalone LabVIEW EXE.   In this case, Instant Protection PLUS 3 would be the best recommendation.

I want to clarify this point in case anyone stumbles upon this thread later.  TPLAT CAN be used to license a LabVIEW EXE, given that the developer uses the TPLAT API.  This API requires the Protection PLUS software from Concept Software in order to create licenses for it. 

ChrisReed wrote:

I was after a really basic protection of an Executable that doesn't involve using the SOLO Server to get any Licenses.  The client should e-mail me a code based on their computer and I send them back a registration key to unlock the software.

Can all this be done within the TPLAT VI's, because looking at say the "Activate License - Activate Manually.vi" I have to use SoftwareKey's LFEdit program to generate the Activation Codes.

If you use the TPLAT VIs, you can use LFEdit to manually create activation codes that can be exchanged over email.  SOLO Server is not required for this use-case. 

Given everything above, I still agree with Mike in that Instant PLUS is a much easier solution to the API, but I wanted to make sure that all the right facts about TPLAT were documented. 

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,143 Views)

Thanks for the clarification, David!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,143 Views)