Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripting Actor Framework development

Hello everyone, I was thinking about how could it be done to automate the generation of a Actor Framework based projects. We have the tools to create actors and messages for them but they are manual. It's quite difficult to do all of this in a programmatic way. Is anyone of you working on an API that would allow to programmatically add new messages to an actor and to create new actors?

Is there even a need for this? Would you benefit from an API for Actor Framework programmatic creation of projects?

Piotr Kruczkowski
Certified TestStand Architect
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,397 Views)

The low-level functionality is all there, obviously, since the right-click menus on the projects are all written in G.

The high-level functionality obviously exists because the G code exists.

But I do not think we've ever taken the time to explicitly make sure the API used by the menus is in a form that is callable outside of the menus. That would've been a good idea. Do you have a time machine to suggest that three years ago? 🙂

Ok... not helpful, I know. Mostly just kicking myself for not asking that question.

Still, if you go into the provider VIs for the actor framework, take a look around... you might find that there is a good entry point. niACS is the expert here. And if there isn't a good entry point, you should be able to copy/paste out the code into useful subVIs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,084 Views)

Piotr, I posted some thoughts on this on your page with the poll:

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,084 Views)