From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best version of Scientific Linux to use MyDAQ and GPIB port?

Hi Everyone,

I am a little bit rusty after a long time without using LabVIEW on Linux distributions. I have tested Scientify Linux (SL) and I like the distribution despite it is not a distribution base on debian.

So, I have some quick questions easy to answer by the expert people who visit this forum:

What is the best versión of Scientific Linux (versions availables) in order not to have problems if I want to run:

Labview 2012 and earlier 

MyDAQ (What version of DAQmx/DAQmx Base drivers must I install?)

Communication by GPIB port, so VISA drivers (What versión of VISA drivers must I install?)

Thanks in advance

Vicente

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,809 Views)

I think the earliest version of LabVIEW that supports the 6.x versions of Red Hat and derivatives, like Scientific Linux, was LabVIEW 2009.

Most NI Linux drivers still support the Red Hat 6.x family.

Message 2 of 9
(6,425 Views)

NI Driver and SW support for Linux is documented here.

Message 3 of 9
(6,425 Views)

I don't think myDaq is supported on linux at all. Forget it.

Message 4 of 9
(6,425 Views)

There is no driver for MyDAQ for Linux. Propably you can write your own by using NI SDK.

Now, Linux hardware support is worse, worse year by year.

Message 5 of 9
(6,425 Views)

Hi, Thanks a lot mtillerson!!

That is the webpage that I needed

Great!!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,425 Views)

Hi mig-31,

Please, could you update my knowleadge?

DAQmx Base and NI-VISA are supported for Scientific Linux so, I will see and have communication with the device, won't I?

BTW, is there someone in this gruoup who tried to run MyDAQ plataform on a Linux distribution? That infromation will be very apprecieted

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,425 Views)

Hi,

DAQmxBase and NI-VISA is supported for Scientific Linux 6.x, 7.x and DAQmx Scientific Linux 6.x.

To see if the device is recognized by DAQmxBase driver you should execute lsdaq command in the terminal.

Output example:

NI PCI-6250: "Dev1"

NI-VISA configuration should recognize device.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,425 Views)

also see e.g:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-base-3.7/4269/en/

for a list of supported devices.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,425 Views)