Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on distributing a remastered Ubuntu Lucid w/ NI-VISA

I've created a customized Ubuntu iso using remastersys which has NI-VISA installed and is pretty much all set to go as far as running any Labview executable is concerned. Considering that Ubuntu is freely distributable, my question is that are the NI stuff (NI-KAL and NI-VISA) are distributable as kernel modules, executables in this customized distro? I use this custom ISO for our target platforms and wouldn't mind sharing it freely for the benefit of the larger Linux community here.

-Anshul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,672 Views)

Anshul, that's a really good suggestion! BTW there is an interactive way to build appliances using openSUSE and distribute them in many different formats - see http://susestudio.com/. As an extension to this suggestion, it may be useful to distribute an OS with installed and cofigured NI run-times as a VMware machine compatible with the free VM Player - naturally, assuming that it does not conflict with NI licensing policies.

Sergey

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,652 Views)

Anybody remember Kororaa?

--

Shawn

Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,652 Views)

Never heard about it before, but the Wikipedia page sums up things pretty nicely. Sigh. Talking about immovable objects and irresistible forces...

--

Andreas K. Hüttel

Gentoo Linux developer - sci, kde, tex

dilfridge@gentoo.org

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,652 Views)

Redistributing NI drivers compiled against the kernel is against the NI EULA.  It is required that the end user do the actual compiling, and our scripts exist to assist in that step.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,652 Views)