Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQMX Base on Centos 5.5

Dear,

I have asked a similar question also on a forum, but maybe I get a proper response here...

I would like to install DAQMX Base on Centos 5.5, but I keep getting an error:

************************************ ERROR *************************************

* Kernel source does not appear to be installed for the 2.6.18-164.el5 kernel.

*    Installation of the kernel-source package for kernel 2.6.18-164.el5 is

*                   required to continue this installation.

************************************ ERROR *************************************

I tried some things to install the kernel source, but I cannot succeed...

Anyone in a good mood to get me on the correct way?

Best regards,

Koen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,547 Views)

What did not succeed, installing kernel-source OR the installing DAQmx base installation after successfully installing kernel-source?

/Leif

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,144 Views)

I think the installation of the kernel source went fine... I did it like described in the second part on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source

I rebooted the computer and retried installing DAQMX Base, but still the same error...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,144 Views)

Have you installed the kernel-headers? Maybe they are missing.

You can check with 'rpm -qa  |grep kernel-devel' if the installed kernel-devel matches your running kernel version.

The package should be named 'kernel-devel-2.6.18-194.el5'

I don't know, but maybe you need the kernel-headers package, too.

I'm also running CentOS 5.5 with kernel-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 and the matching kernel-headers and kernel-devel. I had no problem installing DAQmx Base.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,144 Views)

OK,

first I've to say that I haven't installed this myself...

Are you sure you really need the full kernel sources? Try to install the kernel-devel package and rerun the NI installer.

The NI installation instruction seems to expect to run as root while installing and building the kernel module, but the CentOS kernel source installation instructions leaves the kernel source in the user's home dir. If you installed the source as a normal user I suspect you have to move it from your homedir to /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/

If you already tried that I guess you have to give the kernel source location to the installer somehow...

/Leif

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,144 Views)

Koen

I have a machine (i686) with essentially the same system (SLC55 instead of Centot55 both derived from RH5EL).

I can try to compile if you are willing to provide the following information:

-output of command       uname -a

-output of command       rpm -qa | grep kernel

-the name of the DAQMX Base file which you are trying to compile and the place where you found it, needed to be sure that I use the same file as you.

Jacques

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,144 Views)

Felix1234, you were right... the version of the kernel-devel did not match the kernel... so I have updated both to the latest and now DAQMX Base is installing for the moment...

Thank you all for your great help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,144 Views)