ni.com checkout is currently experiencing issues.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9411 card on cRIO 9035 for optical tach RPM

I am trying to power, and monitor RPM using an optical tachometer with a 9411 card on a 9035 cRIO.  I have added the module to my project, and selected it as a counter channel.  I am trying to count the number of pulses in a set period of time, then converting that to RPM. 

I am able to power the tach with the 5V output from the card, but it does not seem to be picking up the pulses.  I have the power coming from pins 4 and 12(com) on the card, and my signal comes back into pin 1.  Everything I have tried generated 1 of 2 things:

1) it does not pick up pulses at all

2) for some reason it just counts, seemingly, ever loop without actually detecting a pulse (item is not spinning so pulse should not be generated).

It doesn't make sense to me that this doesn't work.  For what it is worth, I am needed to use all 6 channels on the counter card, in this same fashion.  But currently I am only trying to use 1 tach.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,550 Views)

How are you checking to see if it is seeing the pulses or not? Can you upload your code so we can get a better idea of what you are doing?

If it is just incrementally counting seemingly then it could be a software issue.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,524 Views)