Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I "redo" a Message created by Message Maker?

I'm running Actor Framework, as distributed in LabVIEW 2012 and with whatever updates came when SP1 was released.

I have a Class with Methods, and used the Message Maker to build a set of Messages for it [a lovely tool, by the way].  However, I discovered that I forgot to wire some Front Panel controls in my Method, so they were (naturally) not present in my Message.

I tried to fix this by simply opening the Method, wiring the Connector properly, then trying to recreate the Message.  However, Message Maker has this particular Method already greyed out (as I'd already made a message for it).  Thinking it was something as simple as "Delete the appropriate Msg Class, save, and try again", I deleted the corresponding Msg Class, restarted LabVIEW (hmm -- I may have only closed the Project), and tried again -- still greyed out.  [Stopping and restarting LabVIEW doesn't change anything -- still greyed out].

So two questions.  First, what are the appropriate steps to take if you need to change a Method after you generate a Msg class for it with Message Maker?  [I'm guessing that I could have simply edited both the Method and the Msg Class/Methods, rather than deleted the Msg Class and asking Message Maker to do the work for me].  Second, now that I've "made this mistake", how can I fix things so that Message Maker "knows" that there is no message there?

Wait -- I have an idea!  I deleted the Msg class from Project, but I bet the files are still on disk -- could deleting them fix things?  [Pause while I check ...]

Sonofagun, that was it!  Deleting the folder on the disk allowed the Method to show up again in Message Maker.

I realize that I may be using not-the-latest version of this software, so this (anomalous) behavior might already have been fixed.  But doesn't it make more sense to use the presence of a Method in Project as the determination of whether or not you can build a Message for it than its presence on disk?

BS

Message 1 of 4
(4,548 Views)

Not just on disk - but in the folder AFMM created it.

When I add or remove message inputs, I usually just modify the class, do and send by hand.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,956 Views)

There's an improved message maker posted to the forums that can rescript existing message classes in response to method changes. The shipping message maker doesn't have such fanciness yet (and won't in 2013). But you can find the improved one around somewhere (sorry, I forget where it got posted).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,956 Views)

Well, I made another similar mistake (forgot to modify the Connector), and this time I did as you suggested, modifying the Class (control), Do, and Send items.  Worked fine, and gave me better insight and appreciation of what goes on "behind the scenes".  Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,956 Views)