Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView 2011 - Actor Framework on a CompactRIO 9068 - Deployment error

Hi,

I'm developing an Actor Framework project in LabVieW 2011 with the AF4.1 that is not very complicated by itself but it will be running on the Realtime system CompactRIO 9068. It is not the first time that I am working with the Actor Framework and my project will build an run just fine within the environment of a windows application.

But I am working with the CompactRIO System for the first time, so I was hoping that there will be someone out there who could help me to solve this problem.

The problem is that as soon as I am starting to put my project files into the CompactRIO environment and try to comiple and run it I get an error message that is similar to:

"Deployment not successfull. Error in Launch_Child_Actor.vi"

To clarify, the Launch_Child_Actor.vi is the vi where I launch the sub actor that will read the data from the FPGA target.

So my question here is wether there is the possibility that the compactRIO system doesn't have enough memory to store and run all those files needed for the Actor Framework or there is another problem that could cause a error while deploying the files to the CompactRIO.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and doese already have a solutions for that?

Thanks for your help,

Korbi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,297 Views)

I have successfully run the actor framework on the crio but you have to be very very very careful with your class setup when doing so.  Since loading a class or a library onto a CRIO loads all of the vi's within those containers onto the crio as well as their dependencies, it is very easy to have a VI loaded that contains a function that is not supported on the crio. 

Personally i ran into this when trying to work with libraries that contained a driver class and a GUI class, both actors, that had subpanels. 

Since the actor framework depends heavily on dynamic dispatching, my guess would be that if you are overriding your launch child actor in multiple places, and that one of those components has a portion that doesn't support deployment to the crio.  You might look through all the classes that use the child launch and see if its in there.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,352 Views)

This is somewhat unrelated but you will need to be using at least LabVIEW 2013 to deploy to the 9068.

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,352 Views)

Deployong Actor Framework to cRIOs is not recommended in LabVIEW 2011.

I made some initial attempts to do so in the summer of 2012, and was not successful.  Using a workaround, we were able to deploy AF to cRIO in LabVIEW 2012, though we had to wait until 2012 SP1 to deploy AF out of the box.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,352 Views)

Hi,

thanks for all your answers. Sorry for my late reply i had some things to deal with.

About the Actor Framework problem I can tell you the following information.

@Jed

I double checked all of that I even tried to deploy just two empty actors with a while loop turning a LED on and off.

@Craig

I am sorry I wrote down the wrong cRIO it's not 9068 but 9076.

@niACS

I think I will be lucky with that. The company I am working at is upgrading their LabView license to LabView 2014. So as soon as the new license is avaiable  I will try to deploy the actor framework again and see what happens.

I will keep you posted with new information as soon as I get a chance to work with the new version.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,352 Views)