Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance question: AF message queues versus SVE

I have a deployed application (PXI based) that uses NSVs to populate bound UI front panel indicators from a separate background task which acquires the data from a MIL-STD-1553 bus controller (all on the local machine, not across a network). This is working well (eliminates code on the block diagram) even at update rates down to ~40 msecs although there were a couple of quirks I had to deal with. There is not a huge amount of data being passed with about 35 indicators in total, half of those being small arrays.

I have the opportunity to upgrade to LV 2014 (from 8.5) and clean up the application and I thought converting to AF would be appropriate since I have several QSMs in parallel threads. Should I stick with the NSVs or will I have at least the same performance (or better) using AF messages? I would think that the under the hood SVE uses message queues itself so my guess is that there is negligible difference in performance.

Thanks,

Bill M.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,007 Views)

Or perhaps even better, stop trying to pump data into the UI but rather just show the data source actor's front panel in a sub-panel on the UI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,651 Views)