Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT executable with AF doesn't start (LabVIEW 2011)

Hello,

We are making some test to check if the Actor Framework could be a good solution to used on Real-Time systems and we found a problem when configure the Real-Time system to run the application automatically. The application we have made is vary simple: a "Main.vi" that starts and "actor" ("AF1.lvclass") and send every second a message ("Process1 Msg.lvclass") to the actor. When the actor receives the message displays on the console the date and time.

If we use the LabVIEW enveroiment to execute the project and debug it, we have not any problem. All works as expected. The problems came when the executable is deployed (the "Set as startup" is checked). Whe we reboot the system nothing happens, we have not any message on the console.

We are using LabVIEW 2011, AF 4.1.0.29 for LV2011 and the real time system is a desktop computer (Pharlap OS) with two CPU.

Do you know what is happening? Any experience creating executables for RT Systems and AF?

Thanks in advance.

Find attached the project.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,066 Views)

I didn't look at your code, but I have had a case recently where an executable wouldn't start if there was a shared variable with a typedef. I don't know if this is your case, but when searching for the reason I saw that there were a few other things which could cause this as well. I would suggest searching for those.

you also try finding the cause by disabling parts of your code and see you when the problem stops occurring.

(4,371 Views)

Also, if your target has user LEDs, add a loop to your program which blinks an LED once a second and doesn't depend on anything else. That way it's very easy to tell if a program is running on startup. You can do the same for conditional parts of your code.

(4,371 Views)

Hello tst,

Thanks. Instead of using a DO or a LED I have used the "RT Debug" to print for example the index of the main loop but without result. BTW, I uninstall the varible engine too.

I really don't know what is happening.

Do you have created an executable in LV2011 RT using the AF?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,371 Views)

My point was that you should see that the executable is running at all - you need to have code for that in the main VI which doesn't depend on anything else. If the EXE is running, then you can check other parts as well (and since you're using the debug VI, you can also send debug messages from different parts of the process to see where it breaks).

I didn't run the AF on RT, so I can't help you with practical experience there. I actually only use RT rarely.

(4,371 Views)

Hello,

The problems seems to be when the executable loads the librarys of the actor framework. In the project attached on my first post, if I add a "RT debug" before the "Launch Actor.vi" an connect the error output of the "RT Debug" to the error input of the "Launch Actor.vi" the executable doesn't startup (or at least this is my understanding because I didn't see the message on the console).

If I use a "Diagram Disable structure" to disable the "Launch acto.vi" then all the meesages are displayed on the console. I'm missing.

I'm missign because this example is running properly on Windows system.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,371 Views)

Hello Javier,

This is actually a known LVOOP issue with VxWorks targets that is fixed in LV 2012 SP1 and later.  Updating your dev environment and RT target to 2012 SP1 or later should resolve the issue for you.  I tested this as an rtexe on a cRIO running 2012 SP1 and 2013 and it worked fine.  If you'd like more details, please take a look at this post: https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/13652

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,371 Views)

Matt,

I was going to suggest the same thing except the original post says it is a converted desktop PC with a Pharlap OS. Does this issue apply to all RT OSes?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,371 Views)

gt8860a wrote:

Matt,

I was going to suggest the same thing except the original post says it is a converted desktop PC with a Pharlap OS. Does this issue apply to all RT OSes?

Spoke to niACS about this, and yes, this is not expected to work under 2011.  If anyone out there has a conflicting data point, I'd be interested in learning more.

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,371 Views)

hello MattP,

Thanks. I going to update the develop environment and test it. As soon as I have some results I will post them.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,371 Views)