Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Functional Global Instrument Drivers

Self Addressed message seems to be a way of "addressing" a message, passing it to another actor, and allowing that actor to decide when to actually send it via "Send Self-Addressed Message".   However, there is no way for the other actor to actually specify what message to send.  The message to send is provided initially in the same "Address Message" creator that provides the address.  So it is not really a "reply" type of action.  More of a "here's a sealed envelope for you to drop in the post when you think the time is right".

Admittedly, I may not understand "Self Addressed Message" as it also has a "Do" method which I can't figure out the function of.  But the Do method doesn't use the address in any way.

-- James

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(801 Views)

First of all, thanks for the great dialog discussing this topic.  It has been very useful to under stand the pros and cons of each technique.

1. Following advice from both of you, I will be implementing "publishing" of the latest values via notifiers.  However, you lost me at how to "publish" this information to other actors.  Could you expand on what you meant by "registering different message types", how you would "publish" this to another actor, and how it would be implemented?

2. Overall, this is a really great framework.  I think additional examples would help push this framework towards mainstream use.  The "Using the Actor Framework 3.0 in LabVIEW.pdf" is a great starting point and examples are a great way for the community to "really get it".  It would be extremely helpful to see some example use cases for each type of message exposed on the Actor Framework palette.  Even more useful would be examples from Actors and Non-Actors.  I would be interested in how others design their message classes.

Messages I could not find examples for

Send Batch

Self-Addressed Message

Time-Delayed Send Message

Last Ack

Angry Eagles

Stop Msg

Send Message And Wait For Response

Alliance Day Demo

Stop Msg

-Brian

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(801 Views)

drjdpowell wrote:

Self Addressed message seems to be a way of "addressing" a message, passing it to another actor, and allowing that actor to decide when to actually send it via "Send Self-Addressed Message".   However, there is no way for the other actor to actually specify what message to send.  The message to send is provided initially in the same "Address Message" creator that provides the address.  So it is not really a "reply" type of action.  More of a "here's a sealed envelope for you to drop in the post when you think the time is right".

I never answered this question: You would inherit a new message from Self-Addr that does whatever it is that you want to do. That's why there isn't an inner "payload" message. The originator of the SAM creates the message, but the other actor has to know how to load the payload into the message, so the other actor will have a fixed dependency on that particular SAM's Send VI. That VI populates the message and then uses the core method to send the message back to the originator.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(801 Views)