cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping a time-delayed message

Solved!
Go to solution

fredb wrote:

Ahhh! The last line of your reply clears it all up. That makes perfect sense. So a [optional?] sync on stopping a time delayed message? 

Yes.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 26
(1,239 Views)

niACS wrote:

It's certainly lighter weight than creating an actor and all of its message classes (you'd need four, if memeory serves) especially since that actor would wind up implementing essentially the same code.

Someone would only have to create the Actor once and make it part of the standard AF. 

And the current implementation is actually quite heavy from a performance standpoint because of how it always creates a new clone pool (see Ref1, Ref2).  One of the less obvious benefits of an "actor" framework of any kind is the standardization of creating and shutting down async subprocesses.   Improvements in the parent Actor.lvlib improves all child actors, but "Time-Delayed Send Message" is a lonely orphan. 

I actually have non-actor async processes in the framework I use (such as "Send Delayed Message" and "Async Dialog") and I made a common parent class ("Async Action") to handle the launch/shutdown code.  An "Async Dialog" BTW, would be something I would recommend as a very useful addition to the AF, as the 'call to the unpredictable User' is one thing that really should be asynchronous.  My Async Actions aren't actors because they don't have message-handling loops or enqueuer/addresses as such.  They are simpler and more specialized than actors.

Howerer, the AF's "Time-Delayed Send Message" should really be an actor as you send it messages.  Why send them via a custom notifier rather than a standard enqueuer?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 26
(1,239 Views)

But then every AF project is carrying around a second actor class and four message classes.  AF projects carry around enough code as it is.

Getting a Last Ack when the TDM is done would be useful, though.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 26
(1,239 Views)

niACS wrote:

But then every AF project is carrying around a second actor class and four message classes.  AF projects carry around enough code as it is.

Making it a standard part of the "Actor Framework" is not the same as adding it to "Actor Framework.lvlib". You'd only carry it around if you actually used it. We did that with the Reply Msg and Batch Msg -- both of them ship with LV but not as part of the core. Same with the Proxy Actors if we ever ship them (no, they aren't in LV 2014).

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 26
(1,239 Views)

Metronome.zip is still unavailable and listed as "QUEUED for virus scanning”, at least for me.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 26
(1,239 Views)

I shows the same message also for me

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 26
(1,239 Views)