Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Events in the Actor Framework

I'm working with 2014SP1, so it's a bit strange.

And it could be a problem, if the cluster consists of say 5 or more elements, then you would have to rebundle them to pass them to a subVI.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(1,668 Views)

True, didn't think of that. In some cases I do get the cluster itself, maybe this is a LabVIEW bug?

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24
(1,668 Views)

That's what I was hinting at.

I mean: You have 3 methods of doing basically the exact same thing and only 2 of them work.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(1,668 Views)

The fact is that usually they all work. I couldn't find a pattern why sometimes the individual element doesn't work. This is a workaround, so it has it's own problems. However, it could be that we're missing something. In other words, it could be a feature, not a bug

In any case as I don't see a pattern, it can't be duplicated, therefore probably won't be solved in the near future...

― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(1,668 Views)

So... I've alarmed the troops, called support, reported a bug and when I tried to recreate the bug, by creating a new user event with just the numeric.

And now it bl**** works! Now I understand nothing. Now I'll have to try and force it into a bug, in order to not lose all of my credibility

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 24
(1,668 Views)

First time use in actor framework? User events on Wednesday mornings? People with glasses (if you have them, I do)? Or we could stick with the ever popular phase of the moon.

In any case if your credibilty is in danger, I can bear witness that it happened to me too

Good luck,

Danielle

― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(1,668 Views)

OK, I found out what the problem is: If you create the Event Reference and add it to the class, before you name the constant the reference doesn't know the name. Obviously this doesn't automatically change if you add a name to the constant in the pre launch init method.

This, however does still not explain, why the cluster around my data disappears.

Message 17 of 24
(1,668 Views)

Cool! Maybe it doesn't know the name of the cluster but does know the name of the cluster elements?

― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24
(1,668 Views)

Well, I guess it's just expected behaviour and what we find weird others find intuitive. At least it's not caused by the AF, see this screenshot:

Cluster Event.PNG

Here the Top Cluster is not selectable either. For the case described by me earlier I guess I'm just going to have to use a Cluster of Cluster.

Message 19 of 24
(1,668 Views)

Peter,

I am late to this party, however this little tip might help you:

If you create an indicator from the user event wire and right click on it to not show it as icon, you can see the contents of the reference and whether they are named or not.

I have seen all the issues you described before, the way I got around them is putting the creation of my User events references in a subVI that has a cluster of event references. This cluster is then a typedef, if when I go to the typedef and right click on the references to show the contents I see that there are no names, I can fix it there and it propagates.

Hope this is clear and it helps.

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 20 of 24
(1,668 Views)