Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Events in the Actor Framework

dsavir wrote:

According to the documentation both should work, but in my experience the cluster always works while the individual element sometimes does not.

Please show me that documentation, please, so it can be fixed. That definitely SHOULD NOT work. Ever. Any documentation that says so is wrong.

Every user event you create is an unnamed refnum, and, just like unnamed queues, you cannot obtain multiple references to them. The data inside the refnum has a name, and you can create multiple unnamed event refnums with the same named data and thus use all those refnums with the same event structure frame, but they are separate events.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(1,080 Views)

I need to clarify -- I said "that" in the previous post. The "that" I was referring to was obtaining the same refnum twice by naming the elements. One of Fabiola's later posts leads me to believe that's not the point of confusion here. I read the earlier posts as "you obtain the event refnum once in Pre-Launch Init and a second time in Actor Core thinking that you got the same refnum (or different numbers to the same event) in both places". Is that not the bug you're trying to solve?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(1,080 Views)

AQ, that wasn't the bug we were trying to solve.

The bug was that when Peter created an event with a single named element, added it to the private data of the class in pre-launch init, and registered to the event in the Actor core, he couldn't access the named element in the event loop. I recommended he change the single element to a cluster with the element inside and it solved the problem.

The actual bug turned out to be that he created the reference to the event in the actor class before naming the element, therefore the event reference in the private data had no name. Creating a new event reference (with a cluster or without) solved the problem.

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(1,080 Views)

Got it. Thanks. I figured I'd misread something.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(1,080 Views)