Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't self-enqueing taboo?

So there is some contention about the point of self enqueing. It can be confusing:

Queued State Machine: basically essential, the exception being always returning directly to a event handler state
Queued Message Handler: NEVER

Actor Framework: Standard procedure(?)

I'm curious, since actors act like separate QMHs, why is it okay that they self-enque?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,947 Views)

I don't see, why self enqueing should be a taboo. It IS used with the QMH.

Also taught in LabVIEW Core 2 & 3.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,940 Views)

@ConnerP wrote:

Queued Message Handler: NEVER

I'm curious about your statement. Can you post a picture or give us examples? As Oli said, one of the core principles of a QMH is being able to self-enqueue messages depending on events occurring (like user interactions)...

What could be subject to a debate is unconditional self-enqueuing messages: sending a message to itself without any prior condition checking (e.g. the QMH/Actor/... state). I personally don't like it. I'd rather spawn a helper loop or a daemon that runs when my software component receives a Start/Pause/Stop message.

--Eric

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,921 Views)

It is taboo because when you self enqueue you can't guarantee that another state/message won't execute in between.  Maybe you don't care, but I would argue often you do.

As for AF, it is certainly not standard practice (as far as I can tell).  If you need to send yourself a message you can just call the method because that is all the message does anyway.

Perhaps we are confusing terms.  When you say self-enqueue I interpret that as sending a message from the loop that does the dequeue.  That is what is taboo.  A helper dropping a message into the queue is perfectly normal and encouraged in both the AF and DQMH.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,920 Views)

It's not taboo.

Taboo is a meme, it's drastic.

The correct answer is: IT DEPENDS

Sincerely,

the best software developer of the entire forum

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,854 Views)

I'm just curious what is the use case for self-enqueueing?  I'm having trouble coming up with one that can't be solved in a better way...

Sam Taggart
DQMH Trusted Advisor
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,851 Views)

@Oli_Wachno wrote:

I don't see, why self enqueing should be a taboo. It IS used with the QMH.

Also taught in LabVIEW Core 2 & 3.

Why this common feature is a flaw is one of my favorite criticisms of NI's various templates.   The first 10 minutes of this talk, for example, I show how easy it is to make a race condition.   Though at the end of the same talk I show how one does sometime want to send a (delayed, usually) message to oneself.

Message 7 of 10
(3,846 Views)

That was a great presentation.  I enjoyed it.  I do have one question.  The whole time you were talking about achieving subvi-like behaviour for your "protected" sections of actions.  My question is, why bother using the queue at all?  Why not just make each action a subvi and have that initial action be a subvi that calls the subvis from all the other actions?  Is there some reason I am missing not to do that?

Sam Taggart
DQMH Trusted Advisor
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,840 Views)

Going with subVIs is a strong option (and what an AF user should be doing).  Personally, I prefer the closer connection to the front panel and (IMO) better readability of having all high-level code of an "actor" on one block diagram.

Message 9 of 10
(3,834 Views)

That makes sense.  I figured you had a good reason for doing it that way.

Sam Taggart
DQMH Trusted Advisor
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,831 Views)