Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XControl in Actor Core override Problem

You missunderstood me. I neither wanted to critizise nor (as I already said) to judge you. You have (had?) a problem and asked for a solution. I honestly tried to help you.

The paper is about object orientation. The way you use LabVIEW depends on how you want to use it. In the first place you have a programming language with the data flow pardigm. By now is also object oriented. The actor framework is (only) a framework which provides a certain infrastructure and takes advantage from object orientation. In my humble opinion the paper is not outdated.

The paper is about certain design patterns and at least one of it can be used to create instrument classes. This has nothing to do with the actor framework. To use actor framework doesn't mean that you have to implement everything as an actor and it doesn't mean that you mustn't take advantage of OOP.

I have a working application with more than 25 actors and 3 levels of (actor) abstraction.

I wish you good luck, and I am sorry, since I cannot help you it would be a waste of time to continue answering. Sorry!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(773 Views)

Thank you for trying to help. I think you misunderstood me as well. This was really a bug report about the menu item function "New->VI for Override..."; I just haven't noticed if NI has a public BTS. I described more because I thought you were curious.

I started learning LabVIEW and working on this program with version 8.6 because that was what we had. That non-OO code saw no use beyond some testing. I switched to LV2009 when I found my institution did have a license for it, and soon I was using LV classes. We've been using that program for over a year now. Somewhere along the way we finally switched to LV2012, so I had access to the actor framework, but I was skeptical about it. After spending some time writing my own queued state machines and so forth, I finally decided to give it a look over the Xmas holiday. Since then I've ditched my own QSM code and have been porting code over to the AF.

My old code has an incomplete implementation of the factory model. It was incomplete because I can only do so much so fast and had to have something working. I derisively named it "Simple" because, although I can load any of my instrument classes, the first three must be particular subclasses for everything to work. Additional instruments loaded will collect and record data, but I didn't complete the instrument selection UI and instrument panel display before I had to put it to use. The actor framework makes it all much easier.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(773 Views)