BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating Threads

Intaris wrote:

But it recovered quite well and the OP took it well.

And I'm always up for a good ending.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 51 of 82
(9,813 Views)

@Wayne.C wrote:

@Intaris wrote:

But it recovered quite well and the OP took it well.

And I'm always up for a good ending.  Smiley Happy

I would say "definetly not frustrating" This should not have got a mention here in the first place that too the op is actually listening to what others have said.

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 82
(9,811 Views)

muks,

Frustrating in the sense that the first reply didn't even attempt to solve the OP's problem.

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 82
(9,804 Views)

This topic has occupied my thoughts and I share some observations.

Early on this forum did not beat people up over locals and globals.

WIth time the issue with them became common knowlege as we spotted and corrected apps.

Rhater than letting noobs wonder into the woods and get hurt we started getting aggresive to get the word out to not to use them and why.

New posts mentioning locals and globals are trigering the alarm from most of us.

So...

If we worked to gether to come up with a single well written document that is easily understood by noobs and can be linked to threads, we may be able to avoid some of the issues with coming across as a nasty old bunch.

Re: the refernce Nugget on why not to use locals...

It will become one of the most high linked threads and may do more for LV and LV user than most any other topic save "How do I do serial?"

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 54 of 82
(9,796 Views)

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-step-up-and-step-down-the-voltage-using-labview/m-p/1230891#U...

Here, all we know is the OP wants to work with voltages, but isn't using any hardware.  After a couple requests for more detailed information, still nothing.

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 82
(9,738 Views)

Ben wrote: 

If we worked to gether to come up with a single well written document that is easily understood by noobs and can be linked to threads, we may be able to avoid some of the issues with coming across as a nasty old bunch.

Agreed - "the best thing that could have happened to both of those guys is pointing them to a FAQ entry (the FAQ is forthcoming)...and then thread silence".

For a forum full of programming experts, it's surprising that DIE and SSOT principles don't seem to apply to answering people's questions. It's a little embarrassing to read the dozens of answers to "how a Value property node is different from a Local Variable", where the "expert" mumbles some combination of thread swap, UI thread, 3 orders of magnitude faster, race condition, dataflow, guaranteed execution order, VI server, data copy.... I'm guilty of this! The point is, we may never disseminate incorrect information, but it's almost inevitable we will disseminate incomplete information.

Two options for a central repository of definitive answers are the FAQ (which does not yet exist, yet I think it on Web Operation's pipeline) and the LabVIEW Wiki (which is falling into a state of dilapidation). Suggestions?

Message 56 of 82
(9,732 Views)

Thanks. I appreciate that a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 82
(9,677 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

For a forum full of programming experts, it's surprising that DIE and SSOT principles don't seem to apply to answering people's questions.

We already have everything in one place, and it's called the LabVIEW help. The forums are obsolete and a waste of electrons! 😉

(Just kidding....)

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 82
(9,665 Views)

There is a case of a correct question that is blamed as 'don't help him, he is a student that wants his homework done'.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Drain-a-3V-coin-battery-with-Labview-to-test-the-lifetime-of-the/td-...

(post #9 by wha, my reply on page 2 #12).

I checked the german forum and I think most answeres where very rud against the OP, so it was a correct decission to try it with us. I never checked if the OP has a bad reputation or what's the style of answering questions at home (=germoney).

But my impression is that the OP even linked his thread here in the thread on the german forum, and thus the pack followed to diss him.

This should be a warning to us.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 82
(9,617 Views)

As an add, read 'wha...'s attack on 'Mr.Coq.' on page two.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 82
(9,608 Views)