BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grumpy Old Men

I would just like to throw my 2 cents in.

I am only 20 years old. Many of the members of these forums have been in the field for longer than I have been alive.

When they give you advice, take it.

They (and I) will get upset when people:

- are obnoxious

- deman forum members to write their code, without actually trying it themselves

- do not listed to what is being told

Most people on these forums are volunteers, that help others during their free time.

This, in itself, already speaks to their personalitites, so do not push their buttons or be impatient.

Cory K
Message 21 of 155
(9,911 Views)

Ben wrote:

...I thought Walter Matthau was superb in The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. 

The guy that did the actual "taking" was a sailor that had served on the USS Detroit AOE-4 the same ship I served on.

You mean to tell me that themovie was based on a true story?

Now I have to watch both the original and the remake.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 155
(9,903 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

Ben wrote:

...I thought Walter Matthau was superb in The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. 

The guy that did the actual "taking" was a sailor that had served on the USS Detroit AOE-4 the same ship I served on.

You mean to tell me that themovie was based on a true story?

Now I have to watch both the original and the remake.

AS i understand it yes, but of course this has to remind me of another story. After 9/11 the security went up at air ports and being a railroad fan, I welcomed the added hassle. Sooner or latter the common mode of travel can shift back to rail away from air. With the right track conditions railraods can rival air travel and besides, I challenge anyone to hijack a train and crash it into the Pentagon.

Very Grumpy when I have no choice but to fly,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 155
(9,892 Views)

I'm not sure whether I qualify as grumpy or old (could you provide better definitions?), but I am sure I don't qualify as male.

That being said, I am honored to be part of this community.  I have the utmost admiration for these gentlemen (and ladies), their level of knowledge, their patience, their sense of humor, and their willingness to help others.  I will continue to work towards developing my own level of knowledge until I can be considered worthy of joining them. 

Anyone interested in including the ladies in this "Grumpy Old Man" group?  We could be known as "Tetchy Old Curmudgeons".

Message 24 of 155
(9,860 Views)

I try not to be grumpy but who knows, I may fail miserably. I may qualify on the "old" part of the tag, especially considering that I have been doing this stuff longer than Cory has been alive. Smiley Very Happy Last time I checked I qualified as a man.

I do like participating here because even us old dogs can learn a few new tricks.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 25 of 155
(9,828 Views)

So of course I HAD to peruse the threads that were last posted to within a few hours of Tester generating a new name. 

Goals:

• avoid grumps for my own selection of threads (thanks michelle)
  • see if a politer response could be of aid to the OP
  • help myself by observing a "discussion going down hill"  (I'm not the most tactful guy- but I can observe and learn)
Only 1 post prior to 5:45 seemed to me that it could have been unintentionally offensive to a poor soul triing to help out in an unanswered thread without his DeLorean.  (I get to make movie referances too Smiley Very Happy)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 26 of 155
(9,826 Views)

Diane,

You're the Grumpiest Old Man that I've ever known..

And don't you change... I like you that way.. 😛  😄

Message 27 of 155
(9,824 Views)

Coming from you, Ray, I take that as a compliment of the highest order!  Smiley Very Happy

Think I should change my alias?

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 155
(9,796 Views)

Hmm, I guess for some I could count as old since I started to work with LabVIEW when Cory probably just started to learn to walk and I can get a bit grumpy at times with certain people who show a certain attitude that has been already discussed about in this thread.

And I feel it is my right to be grumpy sometimes, when someone starts to yell out about being told to do some work first before asking for a ready made solution to be posted and two hours later inquiring why the free consultant service on this board doesn't give two second reaction time to their grateful requests.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 29 of 155
(9,770 Views)

I can't resist! As I have mentioned in the past (while explaining my avatar, the "trilobyte") I'm not only older than dirt, I was on the committee that named it. I agree with many of the posters, the isn't a regular member of this forum that I would say is inherently grumpy, but there are some posters that by their actions can cause some of us to become grumpy, gender aside. I try and factor in that for some the forum may seem a last resort in a stressful time, looking at some of the questions I have posted myself in the last six months would show some seriously high stress levels, I also try and factor in that the language may be a major issue as well, but I do get pretty cranky when the person, asking for free advice to their problem, resorts to being insulting, or just obnoxious. There are people here that have literally decades of experience in a variety of fields, have advanced degrees, and have been using LabVIEW since close to its inception, who take the time, at all hours of the day, to help others try and resolve their individual problems. Their only compensation, other than a sense of accomplishment from helping others, may be a "thank you" note to indicate that their effort was noticed, or a kudo (no "1"star awards, to those who have been on here for a few years). I have been "wiring" for 17 years, am somewhat knowledgeable about LabVIEW and engineering in general, make my living developing in LabVIEW, and this is the first place I turn when I'm stuck. It is a great community, not just as an internet one. I have developed friendships with many of those on here, some more formal than others, and I can't image trying to develop in LabVIEW without this resource.

tst, you said earlier in the thread, tongue in cheek, that your "manhood had been questioned". Was that when you were anonymous, posting ambiguous pictures when asked (search for the thread about 5 years ago where we tried to determine, who, and where tst was, sort of the LabVIEW community's Where in the World is tst?)

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 30 of 155
(9,726 Views)