BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hat in hand

School your children at home and you'll qualify for a Student license.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 11 of 16
(7,584 Views)

I am good again with the HUL- for now (but January is just arround the corner- I can make it till thenSmiley Wink).  Thank you all for your ideas, cautions and suggestions!

And saverio- if they sue post- I'll join the forum strikeSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(7,524 Views)

A couple of Sparkfun employees said in the comments that anyone in the US or Canada can purchase and use the bundle (edit: for non-commercial use), not just students.  Maybe this is NI's way of making LabVIEW available for Hobby/Non-commercial use like we all had hoped for.

I bought one, so I'll update this if I get a cease-and-desist letter. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, anyone know if I'm allowed to install LabVIEW on both a desktop and laptop or is the license tied to a computer?  (Edit 2:  The license agreement says up to 3 computers! Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(7,491 Views)
I just got mine in the mail. I have not yet installed it. The dvd package has a serial number and says "LABVIEW STUDENT EDITION FOR SPARKFUN" on it and also "MADE IN IRELAND". That made in Ireland indicates that either it was packaged for Sparkfun by NI or they are going out of their way to make it seem legit. I don't think Sparkfun is a school.

NI - can you put something on your webpage saying it is ok for hobbyist use and have Sparkfun link to it in their FAQ?
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(7,467 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

Keep in mind that the Student Edition has specific license restrictions which may mean you wouldn't be able to legally use it.

I sent an email to NI asking about this and got the following reply. (They replied on 12/5 but it got lost in my junk folder and I just found it)

"Hi Steven,

You would be able to use the student version of labview since it is bundled with that Arduino package.  However, our student edition license policy will still be applicable and that would be you would be able to use the student edition at home or for learning purposes as long as it is not being used in a professional application.  That same policy would be applicable to students who purchased the same software from other sources.  If you have any other questions let me know.   "

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 15 of 16
(7,408 Views)

Jeff,

You have a PM

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(7,357 Views)