BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's COLD Outside

@SnowMule wrote:

Round 2 of the snocross series this weekend!

Round 2 of polar vortex next week, too. Not quite as bad but still single digits sup zero midweek. Brrr. Freakin' brrr.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 81
(11,607 Views)

like a mini x-games! Cat Surprised

Since the winter x-games is this week (like, right now) in Aspen, a bunch of the big names showed up to do some high-altitude testing/tuning.  Showed up friday night and saw the massive trucks/trailers/race rigs in the lot... Smiley Surprised

Go-live with the beacon park project I've been working on for the past few months... scatter these boxes out in the snow, and control them remotely rather than digging out wires to each one.

Bury them in the snow... 3-4 feet down

Track the corral up with a sled to pack down the snow and cover our tracks

Turned out to be a kickass tool for doing beacon training.  System worked well.

Go-live for the t-shirt cannon too Smiley Wink

Works good. Smiley LOL

X-games riders Lavallee and Thacker

With a VIP wristband, vest, and radio, they'll let you go pretty much anywhere. Smiley Surprised

Snowbike hillcross \o/

Message 32 of 81
(11,550 Views)

Just saw this thread.

Hey, those of you complaining about too much rain, can you send us some? 

Cold we don't have too much of here (although, tst, I think my city is colder than yours, wherever you are).

We do get snow every year or so.  This year our city was shut down for days.  We got over 40 cm snow in a city that I think can be shut down by any snow that sticks.

The thing that really got me was seeing people, a few days in when they nervously opened the schools, pouring electric kettles of hot water on the icy sidewalks to melt the ice.

I didn't grow up here.  I grew up with snow.  I bought a bag of course salt 🙂

It took over a week to recover from the snow, and around a month to get rid of the broken tree branches.  But now we can walk around in shirtsleeves.....

For that matter, it's probably warmer outside than in my house 🙂

(An acquaintance told me a story of a child who visited relatives in England and wrote home: "England is a strange country.  People go inside to get warm."  -- granted that as many years ago; it has gotten a bit better here.  A bit.

Batya

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 81
(11,522 Views)

A coworker sent me this.  I loved it.  (I've seen a few versions, with Wisconsin or Buffalo instead of Michigan.   Doesn't matter)

Message 34 of 81
(11,517 Views)

That sounds about right..

It's nice & fresh (maybe a little brisky) in the Nation's Capital...  Euh...  Not Washington...  The other capital, just north of it..

I think it's warmer here than Michigan..  Oh definitely warmer...  0F..  +21 on Saturday...  A good day for outdoor fun and BBQ.

😄

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 81
(11,505 Views)

Heat wave this morning, about 150 miles south of Ray's Captol city, left for work at -5F, up from 24 hours earlier when it was -22F (actual, not wind chill). Thought we were having it bad until I saw Watertown, NY, about 70 miles north of me, -34F yesterday morning. Don't know what the wind chill was supposed to be, it was thankfully pretty calm here. Yeah, had those 2 hour delays for the schools here (a number were closed yesterday). Oddly, they aren't calling it the "Polar Vortex" here this time, just "Winter"!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 81
(11,458 Views)

We didn't get those lower temperatures as you did. 

Today we might even remove our coats...

Spoiler
indoors of course  LOL!!

Message 37 of 81
(11,419 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

We didn't get those lower temperatures as you did. 

Today we might even remove our coats...

Spoiler
indoors of course  LOL!!

WIMPS!

Spoiler
Of course yesterday my governor closed all public schools- again. Oddly "Target" stayed open

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 81
(11,409 Views)

We're finally getting snow...   Can't have outdoor fun on icy snow..   Well...  that depends....  It can be fun but hurts...  Like learning how to snowboard (first time) on ice..  But it's fun cause its fast... 

Okay.... I shall re-phrase... 

Finally getting snow... Finally be able to x-country ski..

😛

Spoiler
Remember:  Do not eat the yellow snow!!
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 81
(11,366 Views)

It is all relative...

We had a drop in temperatures all the way dow to ~65! brrrr.... 😞

NBC made a big story about it on Saturday. (see picture)

(Notice the double exclamation point in the tag line, and yes, they are shouting in all caps)

SATURDAY: BIG TEMP DROP!

TEMPS: RUNNING 15-20 DEGREES COOLER!!"

I especially liked the graphics of a outdoor thermometer covered by ice. :o. The term "unclear of the concept" come to mind. 😄 I seriously doubt we'll see any icicles any time soon. 😄

Message 40 of 81
(11,349 Views)