BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite Test Stand Deployment

This is a general question, though I will be using NI hardware and LabVIEW.

I have been using LabVIEW on/off since 1997 and have experience building test stands.  I may be building a test stand for an offsite location which will be a copy of a test stand that I recently built here at my facility. 

My question is: what things do I need to think about when deploying a test stand offsite (on a different continent).  Of couse, there are the language and voltage/power differences, but what else should I consider?  I would appreciate feedback from those who have experience in this area. 

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,044 Views)

Any specific safety codes and interlocks that may apply?

Any required equipment codes (ie UL or CE approval)?

Robust packaging/crating for shipment.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 2 of 7
(7,025 Views)

Remote log-in!  That wonderful "Bullet Proof" code you wrote will immediately fail to meet the new user's expectations.  You will loose less sleep GoTo meeting or Logmein'ing at Oh dark- thirty than on that transcontinental flight! 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 7
(7,016 Views)

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.  Because the test rack will have to be torn apart for calibration and they will need to know how to put it back together.  Or even better, they need to troubleshoot before calling you a dark thirty in the morning (that line was to good not to repeat).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(7,013 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Remote log-in!  That wonderful "Bullet Proof" code you wrote will immediately fail to meet the new user's expectations.  You will loose less sleep GoTo meeting or Logmein'ing at Oh dark- thirty than on that transcontinental flight! 

This.  Those emergency emails "Production's down and we need to ship 2000 units tomorrow" are a lot less stressful when you can remote in and watch them run the program, see the errors that pop up, see how they run things... then when you need to change "Dev3" to "Dev1" in MAX or update an INI file, you can do it and they can watch.

It's also quite fun when a laptop gets stolen.

@crossrulz wrote:

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.  Because the test rack will have to be torn apart for calibration and they will need to know how to put it back together.  Or even better, they need to troubleshoot before calling you a dark thirty in the morning (that line was to good not to repeat).

Documentation, and take a TON of pictures of everything before you ship it out.  Every connector panel, cables, internal wiring/assembly, hooked up and running... pics of little specific things, and overview pics of the subcomponents and entire system.

I've found that when I can attach a picture with specific items to check circled in red, especially when it's a picture of the equipment they have there, a lot less gets lost in translation when you're trying to troubleshoot an issue.

Message 5 of 7
(7,007 Views)

If you are shipping equipment, custom issues. Don't want that equipment held up at the border because of something not declared, or that is questionable for export.

Is it a standalone system, or is it connecting to remote sensors, actuators, etc.

Will the test system connect to databases, etc.? If so, do you really have complete documentation on their requirements?

Not only voltage/frequency requirements of supply, but correct connectors (How did we get to this situation? Most of the initial development of AC generation and distribution happened in one geographic area, how did we end up with multiple voltages, at least two different frequencies and a multitude of power plug/outlet designs?). Also, I used to do "pre-install site inspections" when I worked for a company that had a line of proprietary mini-computers. It was to make sure that the customer had proper wiring, etc. to the location that the equipment was destined for. Power, air, whatever was needed.

I'm getting ready for a trip "south of the border" for the deployment of my upgrade to their existing software, and part of the concern is whether their connection to the "Mothership" database is actually the same as ours. In my office I'm always hearing conversations regarding shipping delays at the border.

And a Very detailed inventory of what was shipped, both for the above mentioned customs declarations, but also as a check list for when the stuff gets there. In some tranit paths parts "fall off".

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 6 of 7
(6,998 Views)

Thanks (and Kudos) to all for your helpful suggestions.

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,968 Views)