BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The birth of graphical programming.

@DFGray wrote:

Note that you can get LabVIEW student edition and an Arduino UNO for a bundle price of $50 on Sparkfun.  Probably the least expensive way to get a fully licensed version of LabVIEW with all the math functions.

<fullDisclosure>I am an NI employee.</fullDisclosure>

I think that it's been discontinued now. That was cool, though!

It's back!

Alex Thomas, University of Manchester School of EEE LabVIEW Ambassador (CLAD)

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(4,429 Views)

@DFGray wrote:

Note that you can get LabVIEW student edition and an Arduino UNO for a bundle price of $50 on Sparkfun.  Probably the least expensive way to get a fully licensed version of LabVIEW with all the math functions.

In the past two months, I've heard this option come up about four times as a low barrier to entry for LabVIEW development.

But I have mixed feelings about proliferating the tie of LabVIEW to a hobbyist/academic toy store.

Granted, it's a super cool store with awesome products, but it's not projecting Professional Software Engineer vibes. It's presented as a platform solution for a hobby, not as a general purpose programming language capable of providing substantial value outside the context of hardware.

That's all; just wanted to pipe up that I wish we could lower the barrier for LabVIEW development, without necessarily diminishing legitimacy/value of the projected image of the language!

(There is certainly a market and a purpose for the Arduino bundle on Sparkfun; i'm just contesting that we have no equivalent low barrier to entry for the Professional Software Developer)

Thoughts? 🙂

Message 12 of 14
(4,389 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

That's all; just wanted to pipe up that I wish we could lower the barrier for LabVIEW development, without necessarily diminishing legitimacy/value of the projected image of the language!

(There is certainly a market and a purpose for the Arduino bundle on Sparkfun; i'm just contesting that we have no equivalent low barrier to entry for the Professional Software Developer)

Which reminds me, where can I find this "Against All Odds" document you claim to have?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(4,383 Views)

@DFGray wrote:

Did it ever get sorted out about what the "rules" with the student edition are/were?

Can someone that is not a student get it and use it in a way that does not breach an EULA or equivalent?

Also, sparkfun only ship that product to USA/Canada. If I were to use a mail forwarding service to get it to Australia, would it change anything licence wise?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(4,382 Views)