BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The passing of my hero...

I remeber sitting on the couch when I was very young and felt my father shake as he watched an old Srgt York movie or the like. It troubled me at first but then my father put my mind to rest. I latter came to learn that my Father (like myself) cried when he saw someone "doing the right thing" without concern for himself. He taught me this not in words but by his actions.

He joined the Marine before he graduated high school to help feed his younger brothers and sisters. He also hoped to defind the country he had been given in Korea. In his minds eye it was unfortunate that his training as a machine gunner delayed his entry unless after the conflict had ceased. He transfered the the Air Force and became a BOMARC missle technician. I was caught off guard when my Father brought home a rifle durring the Cuban Missle Crisis. He continued his quiet fight of the Cold War by playing his part and keeping the DEW line running.

After retirement he served as a mail handler for the US Post Office and became a Life Time Memeber of the Library Volunteer Fire Department where he served as president and fought fires as long as his health allowed. He continued to serve the Fire department working the kitchen durring Bingo games and whatever he could do to help out.

On Sunday he enjoyed his favorite dinner Roast Chiken and was entrtained by a visit by his Great-graddaughter. Durring teh Night God  called him home and my Moterh reported that "He suddenly sat up in bed but was unresponsive. This was just like my Father, never hesitating when God called to him. A great hero has for last time reported when called to serve.

Although the world has one less star, the world is better because of his influence.

The words of the song "Unreachabel Star" allways my Father and myself cry so please indulge me

"

To dream the impossible dream,
to fight the unbeatable foe,
to bear with unbearable sorrow,
to run where the brave dare not go...

To right the unrightable wrong,
to love pure and chaste from afar,
to try when your arms are too weary
to reach the unreachable star!

This is my quest --
to follow that star
no matter how hopeless,
no matter how far --
To fight for the right
without question or pause,
to be willing to march into hell
for a heavenly cause!

And I know
if I'll only be true
to this glorious quest
that my heart
will be peaceful and calm
when I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this
that one man, scorned and covered with scars,
still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable stars!

"

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 32
(10,636 Views)

My sincerest condolences on your loss, Ben.  May faith and family and friends gather round and help you through the difficult times.

Enjoy the fond memories, and pass as many as possible along to your grand-daughter.

Best Wishes,

Matt

Message 2 of 32
(10,632 Views)

My deepest condolences Ben,

Shane.

Message 3 of 32
(10,620 Views)

Our most sincere condolences, Ben.  Sorry to read about your loss.

RayR

Message 4 of 32
(10,614 Views)

I feel your pain is such a trite expression, but my mother passed away last week so perhaps it is appropriate.  You certainly have my deepest condolences, which I have come to learn is what you say in a situation where there really is nothing you can say.  

These things come to pass, they don't come to stay. 

Message 5 of 32
(10,611 Views)
My condolences to you and your family as well, Ben.  By reading your message about your dad, I'm sure he had was as proud about you and your accomplishments as you are about his.  It sounds like he was a positive influence on so many people during his life and I hope those memories will be help you through the coming days and weeks.
Message 6 of 32
(10,606 Views)

Ben,

My deepest condolences.

Message 7 of 32
(10,578 Views)

My condolances Ben. Sorry for your loss.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 8 of 32
(10,574 Views)
I'm truly sorry, Ben. From your brief description your dad was a remarkable person.
Message 9 of 32
(10,563 Views)

Ben,

I'm so sorry.

We in the community are all thinking about you and our hearts are with you in your loss. 

d

Message 10 of 32
(10,560 Views)