Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD - add main VI to a class?

Its time to get re-certified and its been a while since I took the CLD.  Classes were not around when I had the ATM problem as the actual CLD (i'm getting old) problem.  The directions for the exams I've seen have a line that says "Do not rename the main VI or any of the provided controls...". 

My question is If I add the Main vi to a class (without renaming the VI or filename) is that causing a "rename" under the instructions?  The VI window will show VI Class:Main.VI instead of Main.VI but the filename will remain the same.   Was wondering if anyone used a class to store the application data, queue refs, etc.  It seems like a good way to clean up the diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,531 Views)

You are changing the namespacing, so depending on the scripts being used, that could cause you to fail.

Besides, I have not seen an argument for making the main VI itself part of a class.  You typically use OO to make reuse easier.  For this to happen, the main VI should not be part of the class, but use the classes and their public methods.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,518 Views)

I'll add just a bit to what crossrulz said.

If you change the name or namespacing (Fully Qualified Name) of the main vi or any of its front panel objects you have technically done a "No-No" and will likely have a comment addressed to you.

The following is information that is unsupported by published policies and may change at NI's sole discretion.  However, consider it at least...

<Good Advice>

Your submission may benefit from an automated "Pre-Screen" process.  Renaming the things you are told not to rename makes the automated screen barf a test error.  Now the submission must be thoroughly hand inspected and tested.  You have lost any chance to go straight to an "Auto-Pass".  and simply have some explanations on anything the process catches brought to your attention on the report.

YOU WILL NEVER AUTO-FAIL! So, as long as your submission can be hand graded it will be considered but, this is a longer process that depends on the reviewers' schedules and ability to achieve consensus on your strengths.

In short its always a good Idea to do what the directions state;)

</Good Advice>

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,462 Views)