Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffered event counting without an external clock source?

Hallo,

Fisrt of all, i am a newbie when it comes to Labview and the DAQ hardware (so i am running in to trouble).

I have got a flow sensor with a digital output. Every pulse equals 4 cc. I have a counter that counts the number of pulses. With the use of an external clock source the counter value is read a 100 times a second. The external clock source is connected to a PFI pin. A total of 4 analoog signales are sampled with the same clock source. The external clocksource is a simple signal generator connected to a PFI pin.

The hardware is an e-series

The software is Labview 8.2

My questions is:

1. Can i use an internal clock to readout the counter value and analoog values?

2. If not, can i generate an external clock with the e-series board and route it to the PFI pin (current clock source pin)

a. Does it require external routing?

b. Or can it be internally routed?

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,292 Views)

1. Yes, you could configure your analog task to use an internal timebase to derive its sample clock.  Then you could configure your counter task to use the AI sample clock as it's sample clock.  (Note: the AI task will normally use an internal timebase by default if you do nothing special to override it.)

2. Yes you could generate a clock using the other counter on your board or possibly by making a dummy AO task.  And the routing can be handled internally without any screwdriver work.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,275 Views)