Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

counter physical connections

Hello,

I am new to Counters, so I would licke to ask for your help. I am using a M Series 6251 PXI Board, and wanto to generate a train of pulses with Ctr1 and then acquire these pulses with the Ctr0.

My question comes from the practical issue of doing the wiring. How should I do this?

I think that I have to wire the CTR 1 OUT (PFI 13) to the CTR 1 GATE (PFI 9).

Is that right? should I wire other pins as well?

thanking in advance,
CJMV
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,048 Views)
CTR1 OUT --> CTR0 SOURCE
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,047 Views)
CTR0 SOURCE? I thought the SOURCE signal was used to count the ticks between the succesive pulses of the GATE signal.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,045 Views)
DAQmx allows to do so many different tasks - and furthermore the pins can be changed through property nodes - that it is has become difficult to say what the default function of a pin is !

..\LabVIEW X.X\DAQmx\Counter\Count Digital Events.llb\Count Digital Events.vi will help you to start with your counting task.

If you set an edge counter with DAQ Assistant, the default pin will be CTR SOURCE (PFI8 for CTR0).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,040 Views)
Yes, but independet of the change-pin capability. For example, if I have a TTL pulses signal and I want to measure the distance between pulses with a counter, Do I have to connect this signal to the Ctr_GATE or to the Ctr_SOURCE?

As I understood, I have to connect it to the Ctr_GATE, and the Ctr will use its own 80Mhz (I am using a PXI 6251) Source signal to count the source pulses between the GATE pulses. That is what I understood, but now I don´t see why you tell me that I should connect the pulses to the Ctr_SOURCE.

It seems to me that I didn´t understood right, or maybe I didn´t explain myself so clear and you misunderstood my question.

I hope that now you can understand better my question and what I want to do, and that you can still help me 😉

Best regards,
CJMV
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,018 Views)
So you don't want to count the pulses but measure the period of the pulses ! In this case, the default pin is in fact CTR GATE (PFI9 for CTR0). Sorry for this misunderstanding !
Message 6 of 7
(4,012 Views)
Thank you, JB!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,999 Views)