DATA AHEAD toolkit support Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XLR8 - Reading below "last row"

Hi,

one more difference to plain ActiveX access to Excel:

When reading below the last row of an Excel sheet XLR8 ReadAny gives an error 1172 whereas using ActiveX Range.Value2 method gives just empty cells.

So with XLR8 I have to get the last row and set the correct range before attempting to read the range with XLR8.

Is there a way to handle such problems (attempting to read empty cells) in XLR8 internally?

Background:

I use ActiveX to read in configuration files created in Excel. Those configuration files have a variable number of rows, so I just read a sufficient high number of rows as I have to filter the read table anyway. No problem so far with ActiveX. When trying to migrate to XLR8 I now have to worry about the number of rows in my Excel sheets…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,490 Views)

Hi GerdW,

when using the "Read Area" VIs you should be able to read any cells in a workbook, even below last row. Can you reproduce the issue in a simple VI so that we can trace it?

Thanks

CLD | Alliance Partner | Web data storage and visualization | daq.io
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,368 Views)

Hi Peter,

attached a small routine for loading the attached XLS file. I try to read range A3:T263 from sheet "Inputs".

With "lastrow?"=FALSE it gives an error 1172, with lastrow=TRUE it reads the data…

The VI looks like this:

check.png

(In FALSE case the row constant is wired through the case.)

More interesting: when I read the range starting from A1 both cases work fine. So it's a combination of NOT starting to read in the most upper left cell AND exceeding the last row of the sheet…

Best regards,
GerdW

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,368 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thanks for your detailed bug description! We were able to determine the bug, indeed this is a bug in the old format ".xls".

We will provide the bugfix in the upcomming version of XLR8!

Thanks,

Hajo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,368 Views)

Hi Hajo,

in previous update posts I found some numbers (like #789). I guess those are your bug/issue tracking numbers.

Do you also have a number for this special bug?

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 5 of 6
(4,368 Views)

Hi GerdW,

you are right ;-)! The Ticket number for this bug is #802.

Greetings,

Hajo

Message 6 of 6
(4,368 Views)