DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diadem stops loading with an "Activating GUI" message.

Brad Turpin wrote:

Hi William,

For the time being the only workaround I know of is to disable the hotfix policy file whenever you want to launch DIAdem and enable the policy file wheneverr you  want to use a recent version of AutoDesk or SQL Server Express.

Brad,

How can I disable the hotfix policy?

------

"A VI inside a Class is worth hundreds in the bush"
യവന്‍ പുലിയാണു കേട്ടാ!!!
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(3,000 Views)

WilliamB wrote:

Hi, I uninstalled MS SQL. Which I happened not to be using. Having done that I then had to reinstall diadem as the unistall had removed things that were needed.

Good luck.

Thanks WilliamB,

That solved the problem. I uninstalled MS SQL Server 2005 and 2008 and all associated components. After this I tried opening DIAdem and it  worked!!! Don't know whether any other application will break 🙂 But for now...I am happy!

Thanks a lot!!!!

------

യവന്‍ പുലിയാണു കേട്ടാ!!!
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(2,993 Views)

Hi kikiduu,

I have anecdotal information from some Japanese customers that the same symptoms are occurring as the result of installing"Microsoft Visual Studio Express Edition 2008".  What version of MS Visual Studio did you install?

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(2,983 Views)

Hi kikiduu,

The best way to disable the policy file would be to rename it by adding a "_disable" suffix to the existing file name.  That way you could easily reactivate it later by simply renaming it back to the original file name.

The problem is that I don't know the name of the file, so I can't help you find it.  We only know the name of the hotfix policy file that is installed by AutoCad because a German customer sent their computer into DIAdem R&D.  No one has sent us their computer for the alleged SQL Server or MS Visual Studio cases (both of which interesting were reported only with their "Express Edition").  I'm pretty confident that the SQL Server Express Edition case installs a hotfix file like we know AutoCad does, because customers have reported that uninstalling SQL Server Express Edition makes the problem disappear.  It's anyone's guess at this point whether MS Visual Studio Express Edition does the same thing, but I'm betting that's another case of the same sort of hotfix problem.

But it's highly likely that each application's installer is installing a different hotfix policy file, and so far we only know the name of the policy file that AutoCad installs.

Would it be possible for you to test uninstalling MS Visual Studio Express Edition and see if DIAdem launches again?

Brad Turpin
National Instruments

Message 14 of 22
(2,980 Views)

Hi Brad,

After uninstalling SQL Servers 2005 and 2008 I am able to open DIAdem. I didn't uninstall my Visual C++ 2008 Express edition. From what you say, I too feel that the problem started coming after I installed VC++ 2008 Express edition, which might have installed the SQL server 2008. 

Thanks for the help.

------

യവന്‍ പുലിയാണു കേട്ടാ!!!
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(2,970 Views)

Brad Turpin wrote:

Hi kikiduu,

I have anecdotal information from some Japanese customers that the same symptoms are occurring as the result of installing"Microsoft Visual Studio Express Edition 2008".  What version of MS Visual Studio did you install?

Brad Turpin
National Instruments

Yep, this is what I installed. This includes the MS sql.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(2,959 Views)

Any headway on this issue? I got bit by it today, ended up uninstalling and reinstalling DIAdem needlessly.

I found the Knowledge Base article "Why Is DIAdem Hanging at the 'Activating GUI' Phase in the Splash Screen?", but it did not help. The article says to look for (and rename) a "8.0.50727.832.policy" file which did not exist on my computer -- it says nothing about what to do if you find a "8.0.50727.1833.policy" file... once I deactivated the 1833 policy (leaving the 762 policy), DIAdem launched just fine.

I do have Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition installed on my computer, and it must remain installed. Any chance that a fix to DIAdem 11 is forthcoming?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(2,479 Views)

Hi All,

Microsoft has responded to us with a targeted fix for these types of problems, but they will not allow us to post the solution.  Feel free to email me (brad.turpin@ni.com) or my colleague in Germany (walter.rick@ni.com) if you'd like us to email you the fix.  It has worked well so far, but I don't know for sure yet how generally effective it will be.  It'd be easier than uninstalling applications or trolling the registry, though so it's definitely worth the try.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(2,461 Views)

Hi Brad,

does this problem also appear on Windows Vista?

Kind regards

Martin

#############################################
There is no place like 127.0.0.1
#############################################
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(2,429 Views)

Hi "The M",

I'm not sure.  I suspect it does also occur on VISTA, but I will check with the developers and see what they say.

Brad Turpin
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(2,420 Views)