DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable not generating pop-up error

Hi,

For a recent project I tested the Delacor DQMH toolkit and LINX to build and control some events and I experienced a strange behavior (Maybe it is normal).

To explain myself, when I use the IDE and the Arduino (Connected with LINX) is not connected to the computer I get and error in a pop-up and it is what I want. The problem is that after building an .exe of the software and reproducing the same thing, I get no pop-up (But I can see the error with a probe using the debug mode).

So, I was wondering if I missed something in the DQMH toolkit and that prevent the error to pop-up in an executable.

Thank you for your help

- Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,971 Views)

How's you automatic error handling setting in the development environment?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,949 Views)

You are relying on automatic error handling to pop up the dialog. This functionality is available in the LabVIEW development environment, but not in a built EXE. I recommend you wire all errors that you care about on your diagram, and have a Simple Error Handler VI at the end of the error chain, which will pop up an error dialog, both in the developement environment and in a built EXE.

Message 3 of 6
(2,939 Views)

Check this post to learn more about automatic error handling and why we recommend to have it OFF:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Discussions/Error-not-wired-in-Request-and-wait-for-reply-...

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 4 of 6
(2,903 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your answers! It is really appreciated. Now I can see were that problem came from!

I have another question regarding the managing of the errors. 

Is it possible to have your definition of standalone? There is an error case in the DQMH_MESSAGE_CASES that should generate a pop up in case of an error so I was wondering if the standalone mode was referring to an executable or not.

Also, as I write that, I am wondering if I haven't misinterpreted the DQMH module, should I have to program the "ignore list" so my error would not be ignored and would show me a pop up?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,874 Views)

'Standalone' mode, in this case, refers to running the DQMH Main VI as a top-level VI, i.e. opening its panel and clicking the Run button. In this case, the 'External Launch' parameter will be FALSE. This is not the typical way a DQMH module is run. Usually, you are calling the Start Module.vi for a module to start it, in which case the 'External Launch' parameter will be TRUE.

You are free to modify the code in the 'Error' frame to pop up an error dialog for all errors, regardless of the value of the 'External Launch' parameter.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,862 Views)