Denver - ALARM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help on Porting my stand alone LabView 2020 over to a new computer

Hey Folks,

My name is Glenn Bennett and I'm in Boulder CO.  I was building laser sims for Coherent Technologies and Lockheed Martin for the last 25ish years.  I retired several years ago and set up a consulting firm for laser physics.  I bought a stand alone fully licensed  2020 Professional Development System so i could create and sell sims to customers.  I just bought a new machine a would like to transfer my LV 2020 over to it.  I do not know how to do this.  My attempts at engaging NI have been fruitless and frustrating. I can't talk to anybody at NI without having some service contract that my small company cannot afford.  Is there anyone that can help me or point me to those who can?  I loved LV, but the new NI subscription only business model makes it hard to recommend LV to anyone. 

If you can help, please respond or text me at 720 470-0635.  

Thanks,   I really need the help.

glenn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,222 Views)

Glenn I'm not sure what you've tried, but have you tried the trivial option of deactivating on the previous computer then reactivating on the new computer?  This can all be done in NI License Manager.

In the past when I've distributed applications with my licenses and the customer won't / can't deactivate for me, I've emailed NI and they've deactivated for me.  I've never had issues activating on new computers, even with single use licenses and transferring but this new NI business model could have changed things.  Does it say activation failed when you try?

Side note, I don't think any of us are happy about the new subscription model and we've voiced that to NI.  However us Alliance Partners can only be on subscription so we're used to it but it's a lot more affordable since we're integrators.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,220 Views)

Glenn,

Have you tried just installing LV20 on the new computer?  I've never really had an issue installing on a new machine.  LV20 is before the subscription model started, that should be a perpetual license and is allowed to be installed on more than one of your machines.  

If you have tried to install and it failed, what error are you getting?  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,216 Views)

Maybe a screenshot of what it says in the NI license manager on each machine would be useful.

As mentioned you should be able to install LabVIEW on the second machine - no license is needed to do that. Depending on your license type you can probably activate it in the NI license manager and it should just work (the typical standalone license -edit: from before the subscription - lets you have multiple installations. I do it all the time without a problem).

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,207 Views)

Thanks for the help. I finally got NI to let me download and install the 2020SP! onto my machine. I went through the sales department.

glenn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,152 Views)

NI had taken down my stand alone version of 2020 from the net. 

I do appreciate everyone's help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,151 Views)