Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handshaking using NI-6508 using DAQmx Base on Mac G4 Mac with OSX

I am trying to configure a NI 6508 board on a G4 Mac to handshake using NI-DAQmxBase.  I can't find commands in the C function reference to do this.    I'm writing to multiple ports.  APA, APB, APC.  The data goes out ok.   Is it possible to confiure this board to handshake using NI-DAQmxBase??  If not, How can I configure the board to handshake using C code?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,436 Views)
Hi macmemo,

Handshaking is a feature which is built into the DAQmx and Traditional DAQ drivers.  Unfortunately it is not supported by DAQmx Base.  If you are communicating at slower rates you may be able to code a handshaking algorithm in your software by polling a particular line. See Digital I/O Applications for information on different types of handshaking protocols.

Hopefully this helps,

Jennifer O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,421 Views)
Jennifer,
Thanks for  your response.  I'm trying to transfer data at @ 500k bytes per second.  My software handshaking algorithm is too slow. What other/newer NI DAQ board would  you suggest?

I would like to use a Mac G5 if there is a board that will work in the G5.  Is there a board that supports DMA transfers at the 500k bytes/s or faster?   

macmemo
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,416 Views)

Hi Macmemo,

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the DAQmx Base driver and not the card.  Upgrading the card would not provide an answer to this problem.  I believe the best option to perform digital handshaking in OSX is to use register level programming.  National Instruments provides a Driver Development Kit (DDK) to help support you with the programming. Register level programming is supported through the DDK Forum.  There is some documentation about register level programming with the PXI and PCI version of the NI-6508 in the User Manual. This would be a good reference to get you started.

Currently the NI 6508 is the only digital board which provides support for MAC OSX.  There are several options for Linux and Windows operating systems.

Regards,

Jennifer O.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,396 Views)

So Jennifer,

NI doesn't offer any digital I/O board that will work on a G5 using Mac OSX??  

Macmemo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,393 Views)
Macmemo,

National Instruments offers the NI 6508 with DAQmx Base driver for OSX.  You may wish to use another card and program it with DDK, since DAQmx Base (the OSX driver) does not support the handshaking feature.  For a list of cards which can be programmed with DDK, please read the DDK FAQ.

Jennifer O.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,388 Views)

Thanks again, Jennifer.

I've been working with NI products for over 15 yrs.  We use Labview extensively.  I've always enjoyed working with your products.

I will look into the DDK forum.  Although it seems like were going back to the 80's when all I did was assembly language programming on

these types of I/0 boards.

Macmemo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,384 Views)