Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

counting pulses using digital input channels on 6289

Solved!
Go to solution

Just a quick check -- you're talking about putting a 6071E card into a PCI slot that *already exists* on your motherboard, right?  That should be fine and quite honestly, you may as well go with your option 2.  But the 6071E won't support quadrature decode, so you should use the 6071E counters to generate your pulse trains and use a 6289 counter to capture your incremental encoder.

If on the other hand you're talking about *adding* hardware that's meant to extend your PCI bus beyond what's already built in to your motherboard, I'd caution against it.  I'm no expert in the matter by any means, but I've seen numerous threads around here of people trying such things and I'm not sure I've ever yet heard of a success.   You'd save a lot of grief by changing out to a whole different motherboard or PC that already has the slots you need.

One last thing -- it may be useful to add a "RTSI" cable between the 2 cards inside the PC.  That's just a simple flat ribbon cable, I *think* 34 pin.  Back in the day, you could get away with using a floppy drive cable.   This provides a connection for timing signals like clocks and triggers that can be shared among your DAQ devices and keep them in pretty much perfect sync.  I'm not sure your immediate app needs it, but it can be handy in general.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 11 of 14
(168 Views)

yes, we have changed our motherboard to multi PCI slot, although PCI is going to obsolete from the contemporary boards. now we can insert two PCI cards, into our motherboard. but the issue is we have one 6289 (with counters) and one 6071E series which doesn't has counter output/input.

Either we need to buy another M series or use your offered solution earlier in this thread. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(144 Views)

The 6071E *should* have 2 counters on board.  They're an earlier generation with fewer features, so they won't help with quadrature decode on your encoder, but they should be suitable for pulse train generation.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 13 of 14
(131 Views)

Why not use an LS7084 module to decode the quadrature to clock & up/down signals and send this to a counter in HC series TTL or FPGA/PLD?

I suggest you search for a "Quadrature Decoder Circuit" and couple that up to a suitable up/down counter with reset. An example is the 74HCT193; cascade as many of these 4 bit blocks as you need to get the number of bits you require. You can reset on the z input, from some limit switches or from a digital output from your PCI 6289. The parallel lines from your counter go into digital inputs on the PCI 6289.

Oh look someone has done it all for you here: http://mumris.eu/Decoder.htm .

Message 14 of 14
(96 Views)