FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't deploy startup code to RoboRIO - license issue?

Hello,

Whenever we attempt to deploy new startup LabView code to our RoboRIO we get a message indicating a build failure.

The message states that our vision acquistion component is currently in evaluation mode and that it can't remove unused VIs. When we run the license manager it indicates that the vision development component has indeed been activated and has the correct serial number. The only subcomponent of the vision license is the vision debug portion. We can however deploy the code to the RoboRIO in debug mode with no problem.

We can work around this problem by disabling the vision VI in the FRC framework but we really need to resolve the root problem. I understand some of the other team mentors have experienced this problem also.

For what it's worth, we did not uninstall last year's LabView since we need to maintain an older 8-slot cRIO. Therefore we have LabView 2013 and LabView 2014 installed.

Any ideas what might be the cause of this problem?

Dave Tanguay

Team 1726 mentor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,400 Views)

edit to original post.

The only vision subcomponet not activated is the vision debug portion. The rest of vision development shows activated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,627 Views)

Dave,

What happens if you try to activate that secion of the Vision Module?  Right click on that item from within NI License Manager, and select Activate.  Then enter your serial number.  Does it activate, or give you an error?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,627 Views)

When I tried to activate the vison debug deployment portion of the vision development system it gives me an error saying something like serial number is invalid. I did double check the serial number and it is the same as what we have for the other modules.

If I re-activate the full vision development component it indicates a successful activation but the vision debug deployment 2014 component says it's not activated. See the screenshot below. Is Vision Debug Deployment part of the FIRST distribution?

Vision debug license.PNG

Here's what I get when I attempt to activate vision debug deployment by itself.

License fail.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,627 Views)

I can tell you that we had deployment issues when we kept the older version of LabVIEW on our computer.  We had to uninstall all things NI, reboot the PC, locate files not removed by the uninstall (typically in the Program Files folder), reboot PC again, install LabVIEW 2014, reboot, install FRC updates 2015, reboot.  I did not install any of the updates from the NI Update service after the reinstall, either.  It seems as if the previous version of LabVIEW somehow keeps old VI's referenced in the new project build.  You may be able to keep the LabVIEW 2013 version on another PC to run the old cRIO.

Message 5 of 10
(4,627 Views)

I'm keeping that option in my hip pocket for now. We do have an older laptop to install the 2013 LabView on. However I'd really like a simpler solution that addresses the root of the problem first.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,627 Views)

Dave,

You shouldn't need to uninstall the old software in order to get the new software to install properly.  From looking at your screenshot, it looks like none of the software is activated (not just the vision software).  That's what the yellow icon indicates.  Is the computer you are using connected to the internet while you are trying to activate?  That is a necessary part of the process.  If you plan to activate without an internet connection, you will need to call NI Support so we can give you an 20 digit activation key that will be specific to your computer.  If that is the case, the number to call is:

866-511-6285

Also, try using that serial number to activate LabVIEW, instead of just the Vision module.  See if that makes a difference.  Is your team using LabVIEW alongside the Vision module, or just the Vision module alone?  Are you using the license that came on the back of your software packaging?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,627 Views)

The team is using the whole LabView package including the Vision Development.

Thanks for the info regarding the yellow in the boxes. I didn't know the significance of the color.

However I tried re-activating the whole LabView package but I'm still seeing yellow in the boxes.

I tried getting the activation codes through the web-borwser method and inserting the all the codes into the activation box but get the same results.

I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the LabView 2014 installation package I downloaded.

Should I plan on downloading a fresh copy of the LabView 2014 package and re-installing?

Activation result.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,627 Views)

Dave,

I think we will need to check out your serial number to see if there is some issue with it.  It sounds to me more like a problem with the license than with the software, but to check, it would be best if you call.  I say this because we will need your serial number in order to verify, and that would be better done over the phone than the forum.  The phone number to call is:

866-511-6285

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,627 Views)

OK, we resolved this problem by re-running the LabView installer. It deploys the run time code correctly now. We did not have to uninstall the LabView 2013 to do it either which allows us to program the 8-slot chassis too.

FYI, the yellow boxes just indicate that the component is activated but on an expiring license basis. Our activation is good until Jan 15, 2016.

All is well now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,627 Views)