FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot upload programs

With the NXT brick attached to a computer via a USB line, we cannot upload programs; a pop up message box says the NXT memory is full, but it is not; the brick however states there is only 108kb memory total, and the FTC programs are around 621 kb each.  So what gives? And how do we as a team resolve this?  This is very frustrating this year.  This is a repeat issue, and NI needs to resolve these issues once and for all times.

Thanks,

Team 2975

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,774 Views)

Hi blt,

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with uploading programs.  What happens when you defrag the NXT from the NXT terminal (Tools»NXT Tools»NXT Terminal...)?  The NXT could be saying it's full because there isn't a large contiguous block of memory available; defragging the NXT should fix that.

You can also try resetting the NXT using the button that's found by removing the battery pack.  You'll then have to reinstall the firmware to the brick.

Good luck!

Kyle S

FIRST Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,708 Views)

The team has tried rebooting the brick via the reset buttons inside the battery compartment and the hidden one in the recessed Lego hole.  Both produced the same negative results; the team will try the defrag move; however, can you or anyone tell me the proper size of the brick and the programs?  It is hard for me to believe that the brick will only hold 108 kb in memory; I know the FLL bricks and the FTC bricks look alike but are different; and I am wondering if we did not get a brick that is defective or should only be used in another application, not FTC.  The programs under properties show a size of 621 kb as downloaded from FTC, which is also hard for me to believe.

Any information you can send me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Team 2975

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,708 Views)

Hi blt,

I looked at an NXT brick and the total amount of space is about 108 kb.  The compiled RXE files, even the templates, look to be around 6 kb.  I can think of a few other things we can check:

1.  How are you attempting to download the VIs to the NXT?  After targeting the VI to the NXT (File»Target to NXT), pressing the Run, Download, or Debug buttons should compile the VI to an RXE and download it to the brick.  Using the Send File to NXT button from the NXT terminal won't compile the VI, which means your transferring the entire 600 kb.

2.  If you are running out of the space from the files, you can always remove the sound files (.RSO) and picture files.  You can even remove the default Sensor evaluation programs and the NXT will work correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,708 Views)

Thanks.  Defragging the brick helped, then the brick took the VI's as 6 kb programs.  That seemed to be the secret for this issue.

Thanks again,

Team 2975

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,708 Views)