FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying Code to cRIO question?

I am a newbie to all of this and they put me in charge of programming. As of right now I have the drive system all programmed out, but I am a little shaky with the deployment part. I had success with deploying my code and running it by right clicking on robot main in the project window in labview and clicking run. But my question now comes what is the difference between clicking run and deploy? And I fear of saving bad code on the cRIO or saving old code on it so is there anyway to know what exactly is on the cRIO, because the last time I ran code, I started closing labview windows, and a pop-up came up saying do I want to disconnect or close, which confused me, because it said if I disconnected stuff will still be saved in memory which memory?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,194 Views)

Running code by hitting the run arrow - or right clicking Robot Main in the project runs the code in interactive mode where you can debug code and see how it executes.  When power is cycled on the cRIO any running code is lost.

When you want code to stay on the robot you need to go to Build Specifications in the project and Select Build.  You then Select Run as Startup after the build completes.  This is how you should ALWAYS deploy code at an event.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,004 Views)

Thanks that really clears it up for me.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,004 Views)